Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Headgasket e34

Options
  • 12-02-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

Hi should you do the head gasket on a e34 when it goes over 100k or wait for it to show signs of failure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Wait until it fails, why fix something that's not broken?!

Unless you want to throw money away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

homingbird wrote: »
    Hi should you do the head gasket on a e34 when it goes over 100k or wait for it to show signs of failure.

:confused::confused:

You only change a headgasket if its fails...normally due to cooling issues on a BMW.

Mileage is of no relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

:confused::confused:

You only change a headgasket if its fails...normally due to cooling issues on a BMW.

Mileage is of no relevance.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

Its a 2.0L .It's just that i seen a few cars for sale & they say that the H/G is done i know the risk of failure is greater once you go over 100k . That is why i was saying should it be changed before it goes dont want to get stuck on motorway with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

they say that the H/G is done i know the risk of failure is greater once you go over 100k

If you are worried about potential head gasket failure then get your cooling system checked out and make sure it is in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭homingbird

No i am not worried as car cooling system works fine never has gone above half way. Just thought as bmw has a problem with h/g to get it done before it goes. I will wait for it to show signs of going before doing it. My mechanic had a bmw in with h/g trouble with only 10'000 mls on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

No i am not worried as car cooling system works fine never has gone above half way. Just thought as bmw has a problem with h/g to get it done before it goes. I will wait for it to show signs of going before doing it. My mechanic had a bmw in with h/g trouble with only 10'000 mls on it.

OP bmw's dont have problems with head gaskets tbh the head gaskets go because of coolant problems

I have 3 bmw's all have over 140k miles on them and none have given problems with head gaskets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

I know nothing about beemers, but I can tell you it might never fail, better job would be gettig cooling system flushed and use decent (correct) coolant, new thermostats and whatever those beemers use to trip the fan.
    Don't forget to blow out any crap from the exteior of the radiator when washing the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

For the most part, head gasket failures are a symptom of a problem, not a cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Andrew Campbell

The thing to watch out for on this car is the viscous fan coupling, thats the most likley cause of overheating which can lead to a blown head gasket

Advertisement