Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember bootleg repackaged Star Wars multipacks?

Options
  • 12-02-2012 6:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Around 1984-85 when the whole Star Wars mania was dying down I remember my parents coming home from somewhere with these generically packaged Star Wars figures. (iirc) They came on a non-descript carded blister packs of 3or4 figures per set/card and I reckon they were probably been flogged a cheap price as I ended up getting a good few packs.

I say bootleg but the figures themselves were the genuine article, most ROTJ era characters but the packaging itself had no star wars reference to it iirc. It was basically a set of 'toys' as far as whomever had run the venture was concerned.

I've a feeling there was probably a factory somewhere in taiwan with a couple of million spare figures that never got sold and this became the way to finally get rid of the stock. The reason I think this is that every single time I got a pack there was an Emperor figure in it. I remember this figure being a mail-away back in the day so I guess they overestimated how many they needed to make and were probably left with tonnes of them after Rotj. Anyway, emperor was definitely the figure that was included the most and as a result I now own about 4 or 5 of them!

The figures that I remember coming in these packs
    - Emperor
    - Nikto
    - Klaatu (alternative version)
    - ATAT driver
    - b-wing pilot
    (but there was probably more, I'd say almost exclusively the rotj range)

I'd love to see a packaged version of a set but I wouldn't even know where to begin looking. Does anyone ever remember getting something like this and know who was behind this operation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Spoonman75

I was thinking about this recently myself. Yeah I remember seeing them in my local Dunnes Stores aound the mid 1980's. From my very vague memory you could get 4 or 5 Kenner action figures and they were quiet cheap. The original Kenner figures were 1.99 or 2.99 I can't remember. These packs of 4 or 5 figures cost about 4.99 I think. I remember seeing one pack and the figures had either the wrong weapon or no weapon at all.

Star Wars had begun to dip around then ROTJ was released 2 or 3 years previously and nobody knew when the prequels would be released.

Advertisement