Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a dog from Belgium to Dublin

Options
  • 12-02-2012 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hoping to get a beautiful long haired German Shepard from Brussels to Dublin as a foot passenger as I am in Dublin and will have to fly to Brussels and take the dog back. Anyone out there with a similiar challenge, would really appreciate any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

Do you mean bring him on a plane:o If brussells has Rabies he'll have to go into quarantine. I got my GSD in Ireland, could you noy get a nice one here...not being smart...just asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

gud4u wrote: »
    Do you mean bring him on a plane:o If brussells has Rabies he'll have to go into quarantine. I got my GSD in Ireland, could you noy get a nice one here...not being smart...just asking.

There is no quarantine with in the EU, the dog will need a pet passport, that's all. The OP has clearly done his research and selected his breeder carefully, which is more than I can say for most people, either that or his family all-ready own the dog.

OP when you say foot passenger - are you planning to come back by ferry? That would take a lot of organisation getting the dog over the land parts of the journey. I'd be inclined to either drive or fly the dog back. There are also pet transport companies that will do this for you, I believe you can travel with the dog if you wish, there have been threads before about transporting dogs around Europe, try searching this form for the word 'ferry'. There's a lot of helpful information on this site on transporting pets.

Are long-haired GSDs considered acceptable for the breed standard in Europe? Just wondering as I had one as a child.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Like getting a drunk home to ireland by train and boat from london i imagine .What do you do with him where do you put him will he start rearing on the passengers and will they let him on the boat .??? sorry to be off topic .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭gud4u

I didn't know that. You learn something new eveyday.;) Even on the ferry they have to stay with the car though, unless it's a guide dog I suppose. My sister always has to leave her labs in the car from UK to here. Maybe from France would differ as it's a much longer trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I didn't know that. You learn something new eveyday.;) Even on the ferry they have to stay with the car though, unless it's a guide dog I suppose. My sister always has to leave her labs in the car from UK to here. Maybe from France would differ as it's a much longer trek.

To and from france the dog gets put in an on board kennel type of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    To and from france the dog gets put in an on board kennel type of thing.

Belgium is not in France. They are different countries.

OP, there have been many similar threads on transporting pets, if you do a search.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Did you buy a pup there & are trying to bring it back?

I rang a crowd called airsea.ie the other day following doing the maths & mileage costs on bringing a dog to straightforward France.
    For France ( Toulouse ) I would have been in the broad region on e1,000 ( I have a crate) this seemed Like a lot until I added up;
    Ferry to Hollyhead return: e180
    Chunnel to France return. e150 ( Inc e50 return dog admin charge)
    600 km mileage costs HH-Chunnel e180
    Possible overnight with dog e60
    1,000km trip mileage to S. France. e350
    A few lunches & snacks on the way. e50
    One overnight on France drive. E60

I worked it at a tank of fuel at e60 ( optimistic) per 200km driven & included the bottle if water & tube of pringles in this!!!
    Suddenly even at bare stripped out costs 1,000 for a quick & easy flight didn't sound as extreme anymore!!!! Let alone the time & driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O ; I Know B is a different place but this to to ABC the costs of overlanding with a dog; turns out I've just done the maths for a country this us much more straight forward to get to!!! No doubt the OP will have considered researching the regulations / restrictions on all the multiple countries s/he will be travelling through re dogs on public transport or in a hire car.

Advertisement