Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help to spec quiet, low power server

Options
  • 12-02-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi

The purpose of this machine is to build a low power pc to go in my attic. I had a full size PC up there in the past, but my wife is very sensitive to noise and she could hear it. I have a NAS box up there now and it's fine. I'd be looking at a fanless design or very quiet fan.
    A compact case would be nice, but not necessarily mini itx, although if that's the best way to go, that's fine.
    I'll be running Windows 7 Pro. I don't really mind if it's 32 or 64 bit. RAM, I'd imagine would range from 2-4GB.
    The server will be used to backup accounts and other data from my office over DSL so it's not going to be taxed too much processor-wise.
    Storage isn't a huge issue as I have the NAS but I have a few 1TB disks lying around so I'd throw one in I reckon.

1. What is your budget? Flexible, but not too expensive in case it doesn't work as well as I hoped.

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Low powered server

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes] Win 7 Pro

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? Yes, HD. Guess I'd need a CD/DVD drive for installation.

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No. reliability/low heat is more important.

8. How can you pay? Any method

9. When are you purchasing? Hope to order this week.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? Clare

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement