Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

valves

Options
  • 11-02-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Could anyone tell me why there are two types of non return valves, a spring type and a flap type? Does it matter which one you use? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭youtheman

The main difference is that the spring type needs a fair bit of pressure to over-come the spring force. The spring-type is more of a 'tight shut off' as the spring helps press the valve up against the seat. The flap type is more to stop 'gross flow' in the reverse direction.

You also have to be careful how you orientate the flap type in a pipe, if the pipe is vertical then you could have gravity keeping the flap held open.

I had to fit an NRV on the pipe from my central heating header tank. As the presuure was very low I had to fit the flap type, and make sure it was on a horizontal line. The spring type would not have worked as it would always have been stuck shut.

So if you want 'tight shut off' is a high/medium pressure line use the spring type. If you want to prevent gross reverse flow in a low pressure line use the flap type (but make sure you install it correctly as regards orientation).

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭nadiahealy

cheers that leaves the understanding of it a bit clearer,thanks for reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Flapper type on solid fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nenil

I've just has 2 'spring type' NRVs fitted to my heating system that has Oil heating pack and a Rayburn.
    At the time of fitting I was worried if the Rayburn pump or electricity failed the spring NRV would prevent the gravity heat circulation from the Rayburn....

Should I worry?

Advertisement