Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone / Safari issue on touch.boards

Options
  • 11-02-2012 6:52pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

This is more a FYI than a bug - but - something changed recently on iphone/safari wrt to touch.boards

Basically, I was AFK yesterday and tried to login here on iphone but couldn't. I tried both touch and full site.

Touch just failed without any reason, full site gave me the 'thank you for logging in, Steve' page and then immediately kicked me back out.

I eventually tracked it down to the safari cookie settings being set to deny all and after fixing that, everything was fine.

My point of posting this here is I had no problems logging in on the phone previously so therefore the cookie setting either changed as a result of an update from apple or maybe you guys changed how persistence of login status is maintained.

Anyways, just a heads-up, I'm sure I'm not the only one that will come across this.

The fix is change [settings]->[safari]->[accept cookies] from "never" to "from visited" or "always" :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Neil

Steve wrote: »
    This is more a FYI than a bug - but - something changed recently on iphone/safari wrt to touch.boards

Basically, I was AFK yesterday and tried to login here on iphone but couldn't. I tried both touch and full site.

Touch just failed without any reason, full site gave me the 'thank you for logging in, Steve' page and then immediately kicked me back out.

I eventually tracked it down to the safari cookie settings being set to deny all and after fixing that, everything was fine.

My point of posting this here is I had no problems logging in on the phone previously so therefore the cookie setting either changed as a result of an update from apple or maybe you guys changed how persistence of login status is maintained.

Anyways, just a heads-up, I'm sure I'm not the only one that will come across this.

The fix is change [settings]->[safari]->[accept cookies] from "never" to "from visited" or "always" :)

Have you recently updated your iOS device? Apple don't update the safari app manually, it only ever gets updated when a new version of iOS comes out i.e. 5.0.1 or the latest 5.1 which should have been out ages ago.

Going to mark this as 'not a bug' for now as boards.ie login requires cookies to be switched on so what you experienced was proper behavior.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Thanks Neil, I know its not really a bug but I had to pick a prefix.. maybe you should add [FYI] or [OTHER].. :D.

The phone is running IOS 5.0.1, I haven't knowingly updated anything or changed any settings since I was last able to use boards on it - hence my frustration at not being able to log in yesterday. 'Tis weird.

Is it possible to detect when cookies are blocked and display a message? This would have saved a lot of head scratching on my end. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

btw..

[thread tools]-> [edit thread] is a much cooler way of changing the thread prefix than [edit]->[go advanced] on the op..

:cool:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Have you recently updated your iOS device? Apple don't update the safari app manually, it only ever gets updated when a new version of iOS comes out i.e. 5.0.1 or the latest 5.1 which should have been out ages ago.

Going to mark this as 'not a bug' for now as boards.ie login requires cookies to be switched on so what you experienced was proper behavior.

Thanks guys.
    This is a problem for me too!
    Fixing now:)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement