Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver perception of the world aroudn them

Options
  • 11-02-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the story with some drivers and how they view the world outsid etheir windows?

I was at the below junction this morning coming from the right, heading towards the M50. Theres clearly 2 lanes, one marked left only, the right one marked straight on. I'm rarely in Sandyford so am fairly new to the junction. Like any normal person I read the local signage. As I approach the junction I see the arorws ont he ground so go in to the right lane. Theres already a woman in a light blue Focus with L plates sitting in the left lane and a Mondeo behind her. I could tell from the position of her car (the lack of an indicator I wasnt takign to mean she wouldnt be going left :rolleyes:) that she was going to go straight. So when the lights change I pull off (not anyway fast, I was in the missus Scenic, not exactly a dragster), Before I even get as far as clearing the yellow box the silly bint (I'm about a car length ahead of her already) has started leaning on her horn and waving & shouting. I wouldnt mind, but because I had an idea what she was at I kept fairly far right.

Now setting aside the fact that she obviously didnt read the signs or just didnt care, theres still no right turn at the junction so where exactly did she think my lane went other than straight? :rolleyes: I carried on around and moved to the left lane, went left then went relativly slow as she went past , thinking she might roll down her window to give out and I'd let her know she was in the worng lane. She went by pulling a face . I was heading to Clondalkin and needless to say by the time I had pulled off the motorway she had spent the whole time in the middle and outside lanes.

The guy in the Mondeo went straight at the junction too btw.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.277347,-6.219025&spn=0.000634,0.001647&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=h&z=20

This woman looked in her 30's and had a youngish child (up to about 10) in the front seat. It's incidents like this that I think of and laugh when peopel come on her givign out about the "injuctice" of not being allowed drive alone on L plates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

Whats the story with some drivers and how they view the world outsid etheir windows?

I was at the below junction this morning coming from the right, heading towards the M50. Theres clearly 2 lanes, one marked left only, the right one marked straight on. I'm rarely in Sandyford so am fairly new to the junction. Like any normal person I read the local signage. As I approach the junction I see the arorws ont he ground so go in to the right lane. Theres already a woman in a light blue Focus with L plates sitting in the left lane and a Mondeo behind her. I could tell from the position of her car (the lack of an indicator I wasnt takign to mean she wouldnt be going left :rolleyes:) that she was going to go straight. So when the lights change I pull off (not anyway fast, I was in the missus Scenic, not exactly a dragster), Before I even get as far as clearing the yellow box the silly bint (I'm about a car length ahead of her already) has started leaning on her horn and waving & shouting. I wouldnt mind, but because I had an idea what she was at I kept fairly far right.

Now setting aside the fact that she obviously didnt read the signs or just didnt care, theres still no right turn at the junction so where exactly did she think my lane went other than straight? :rolleyes: I carried on around and moved to the left lane, went left then went relativly slow as she went past , thinking she might roll down her window to give out and I'd let her know she was in the worng lane. She went by pulling a face . I was heading to Clondalkin and needless to say by the time I had pulled off the motorway she had spent the whole time in the middle and outside lanes.

The guy in the Mondeo went straight at the junction too btw.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=53.277347,-6.219025&spn=0.000634,0.001647&hnear=Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&t=h&z=20

This woman looked in her 30's and had a youngish child (up to about 10) in the front seat. It's incidents like this that I think of and laugh when peopel come on her givign out about the "injuctice" of not being allowed drive alone on L plates.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

I've had this happen a few times, some people have no clue about road markings and rules of the road ( in your case she was a learner so I'd forgive her for the mistake but she has no business policing people with her horn.)

I have a mini roundabout near my apartment where Im driving on to it with the right of way (most traffic is coming from my left) and several times drivers (all women, but im sure men do this too) have driven straight through the roundabout while I am already on it completing my turn and beeped me??? they drive off thinking I was in the wrong?? so frustrating, I want to stop them and give them a little lesson in how roundabouts actually work. The standard of driving in this country is a disgrace,

Its insane that people dont know such simple rules of the road...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

All drivers should be tested cognitively to see if they have the capability of learning roadcraft. Some don't and should NOT be allowed to drive. Passing the test doesn't test for it sufficiently. Its almost 'learning by rote'. What's required is driving thinking skills. Development of them OR exposure for not having them.

I was the person who introduced the Israeli company Cognifit's solutions to Ireland and its now (or was) offered through http://www.driverfocus.ie/sunday_business_post,_driverfocus_fleetfit_launch-objectid-1061-recordid-42-z-display.htm

And no, I am not shilling, I am not the guy mentioned in the article.

http://www.sharpbrains.com/blog/2008/03/29/drivefit-cognifit-brain-fitness-program-for-driving/

............. I carried on around and moved to the left lane, went left then went relativly slow as she went past , thinking she might roll down her window to give out and I'd let her know she was in the worng lane. .............

In all fairness do you have anything better to be doing than hoping for the opportunity to let someone know they were in the wrong lane?

RoverJames wrote: »
    In all fairness do you have anything better to be doing than hoping for the opportunity to let someone know they were in the wrong lane?

It's her hubby!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement