Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take the Job or Go?!?

Options
  • 11-02-2012 2:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi,

I have been offered a really good secure job here in Ireland for the next two years, at least, with the possibility of working up. I am really proud to get this job and it has been a great confidence booster. Although it is not what I am qualified in but will look great to any other prospective employer in the future.

The problem is...

I had planned to go to Australia. This has been my plan for a long time and I was really excited to go. I still really want to go but I won't get this opportunity to work for such a big company again here in Ireland. Also no guarantee of getting a good job in Australia, never mind sponsorship.

What I am asking is it stupid of me to still want to go to Australia? Or should I wait and get 2 solid years of experience behind me before I go anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What age are you? How many years exp, any commitments at home?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

hussey wrote: »
    What age are you? How many years exp, any commitments at home?

Early 20's, not much "professional" experience, and no commitments not even a credit union loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

My gut reaction is if seeing australia rather emigrating is your primary goal then it can wait a few years. At least then like you say it will look good on your cv if you want to emigrate later and if you're lucky they'll give you a career break.
    I've met a few young guys with sponsorship here and they just want to go home but have no work to go to. The holiday thing was fun for a while but now they spend their weekends drinking away their pay in irish pubs with little or no interest in the country they're in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Ericconeally

In my opinion I think you would be mad not to take the job in Ireland. I am employed in Australia in a professional capacity for the past few years. I would love to go back home to Ireland to work, but because of the lack of job opportunities there I have no choice but to remain here. I have a large group of Irish friends here and they are of the same opinion. Australia is great fun when you come here for a few months backpacking, meeting new people and partying with them. But once you begin to begin working and the novelty soon wears off...Of course you could come out here and love it and never want to leave. But this is just my own personal experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Australia's not going anywhere soon, if you want to emigrate a few years exp will do the world of good, of you want to just travel, then really that's up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

if your under 30 you have options , as the WH visa is easy to get , dont leave it like me when your over 30 and have to apply for a skills visa it will take me 8 to 12 months to get the visa . Anyway Ireland is fecked and its time to get out of here as there will be nothing be osterity here for the next 20 years :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Venus_Rus84

I would def take the job in Ireland - Australia wont go anywhere, especially if your only intention is to travel around. You can do that anytime, the job offer wont.

If you intend to come here and work, well in my experience, its way easier to secure professional employment in if you already have some experience. The 9 to 5 slog is just as tedious here as it is in Ireland. But at least in Ireland you have friends/family. Granted you'd probably make friends in Oz too but its just not the same

• Registered Users Posts: 15 edith may

I am in a very similar situation to you. I've got a full time job and I'm doing well at it but I had planned to move to America. I have an interview this week for a job there. The problem is I can't see how I can extend the visa for longer than a year and the advice I've been getting is I'd be a fool for leaving my job :( I've always wanted to live there and I know a year is not a long time and the thought of having to send out cv's and applying for jobs again this time next year is kinda putting me off cos I know how hard it is to get employed here. Its actually wrecking my head! Did you decide what your doing? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭ladd19

Thanks for the advice guys. I accepted the job anyway. Australia will always be there and at least I will have experience and more money by the time I go now.

Advertisement