Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photography Course

Options
  • 10-02-2012 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I am currently looking to do a Home photography course and wonder if anyone could recommend any? I completed my Diploma with CMIT but it was a waste of €500 and not worth the paper its written. I was thinking of doing the one with the Photography Institute but was hoping for a bit of insight before signing up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

the vast majority of online courses will help you to learn more about photography (assuming you have limited knowledge already)

however - the vast majority of information which is taught by an online course is available for free (unstructured).

There are not a lot of accreditated photography courses and even less of them are available online/via distance learning (they are classes in a college) - I will also point out that the vast majority of photographers that I know do not have formal training or qualification in photography, those that do have a qualification seem to have a better understanding of photography - but I cant say if they are better photographers than the "unqualified"....having a recognised qualification looks good on a CV but most if not all photographers display their portfolio and let their work show how good they are.....best of my knowledge (and I'm open to correction) .... the photography courses with the Photography institute are not accreditated by anyone so basically you'll get the same qualification as someone who has read a photography book and took pics with their camera.

What area of photography are you trying to learn more about ? or do you simply want to learn more about photography in general ?

Photography is a beautiful art - when done properly.....unfortunately its also a dying art.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 cmwild31

The photography institute have sections on studio photography plus I just wanted to learn more in general hoping to become a better photographer. I have looked up YouTube videos on studio photography and portrait photography but none have been of benefit. I am also more likely to do the research more if I have a structured program. I would love to go to classes but I work 13hr shifts in hospital and never get the same day off each week. CMIT were accredited by FETAC but as I say the course was not worth the paper it's written on. Thanks for your insight.

when you say the you-tube tutorials on studio/portrait photography didn't benefit you - how will an online course benefit you? it wont teach you unless you want to learn.

what level of knowledge do you have with photography ?

have you ever used flash ? off camera flash, slow sync exposures, rear curtain shutter, ever tried light painting ? ..... or are you trying to learn about poses, how to relax the subject, creative lighting, using natural light, using fixed lights compared to strobes.

What exactly do you want to know about ?
    what do you want to learn ?
    and what do you want to use the knowledge for ?

do you plan on creating your own studio or shooting on location, portraits, jewellery etc

What equipment do you have ? (knowing this can allow me - or someone else here willing to help - to point you in the right direction as to what I/we think you may need to purchase or read/watch in order to help you advance)

I have done 2 civil ceremonies, a few portraits and sold some of my scenic prints. Www.facebook.com/chriswildphotography to get an idea of the level. I have tried light painting and I need to purchase a trigger to try off camera flash, it's something have never attempted. The main thing I need to learn is how to light my subject correctly in order to create a better photo. Also I have 2 studio lights with model mode and 1 softbox attachment that I really need to learn to use properly. I use canon 5D Mkii with 430EX speed light. I still need to learn the functions in the speed light too. I have only ever used rear curtain when I was doing slow shutter on a night scene on the motorway for light trails

in your website you said you have done a "wedding photography" course with the Institute of Photography - and are ready to offer your paid services.

and you start a thread asking about the Photography Institute ?

Apologies in advance if this appears rude but what were you doing before you were made redundant or lost your previous job ?

- becoming a photographer takes time, I've been at it around 15years full-time for about 9yrs and I'm still learning, I get the impression from your website and from your posts that you purchased equipment, did a course or two and want to expand and make more money, best of luck with it.

visit www.strobist.com to learn a bit more about creative usage of flash/lighting equipment.

• Advertisement

I have been doing photography for about 2yrs, I completed the diploma with CMIT but as i said it wasn't great. A colleague in work asked me to do her wedding which i declined several times but she was adamant she trusted me, and lets face it we all have to start somewhere. She was happy with the job i did and then was approached by a stranger to do her wedding who was also happy with the job i did..

I have done a little more than just go buy equipment do a couple of courses and thrust myself into it lol but yes i intend to try gain a little more work in the future.

I don't mind you asking but I haven't been made redundant nor lost my job, i work full time but the job i do is 3 x 13hr shifts per week and so have the time to do a bit of photography work now and then, it is nothing major, could barely be called part time.

The Institute of Photography and the photography Institute are different institutions and the reason i started the thread was to see if i could find anyone with knowledge about the course with the P.I or any other good ones, as you said, you are still learning and the reason for me wanting to do a course was to learn more to make me better at what i enjoy doing, whether it be for paid work or self enjoyment.

I appreciate the link and will check it out..thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Schmowen

I don't know if you live in Dublin but Griffith College do a part time degree course. At least I think its a degree, might be a diploma. Anyway check out their website. They're fetac accredited too.

Advertisement