Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You?

Options
  • 10-02-2012 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Can you be accepted onto a FETAC level 6 course without doing level 5?
    Also if you do a level 5 course can you gain entry to a bachelor level degree straight from that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You would need a level 5, or equivalent, or be able to show that you had experience in the subject (for example work experience) to get onto a level 6 course. Providers can specify what the requirements are though, so you would need to enquire there.

The short answer is yes, a Fetac level 5 can help with/give access to a degree course. You would be advised to check out colleges to see to what extent they accept Fetac qualifications for the specific third level course.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Yellow121

looksee wrote: »
    You would need a level 5, or equivalent, or be able to show that you had experience in the subject (for example work experience) to get onto a level 6 course. Providers can specify what the requirements are though, so you would need to enquire there.

The short answer is yes, a Fetac level 5 can help with/give access to a degree course. You would be advised to check out colleges to see to what extent they accept Fetac qualifications for the specific third level course.

The problem for me is I have done a level 5 course before (although I didn't complete it) and to get Back to Education Allowance you have to do a course at a higher level.
    Does being a mature student make any difference to getting onto level 6 without having level 5? I suppose only if I have worked in the area of the course.

Thanks for the link Buster but I don't think I can do any level 5 courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

If you're a mature student why are you trying to use fetac to get into college when you can apply direct. Without a fetac level 5 in a particular area or a lot of relevant experience I doubt most colleges would consider you capable of completing a level 6 and would definitely question being a level 5 drop out.

So you don't think they would accept me onto a level 6 course but they would accept me onto a bachelor degree course?
    It was a good few years ago when I did the level 5, I made an error in saying I didn't complete it, I did finish it but didn't turn up for all the exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,233 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yellow121 wrote: »
    So you don't think they would accept me onto a level 6 course but they would accept me onto a bachelor degree course?
    It was a good few years ago when I did the level 5, I made an error in saying I didn't complete it, I did finish it but didn't turn up for all the exams.

That is effectively the same as not finishing it. If you do not have a certificate then the fact that you attended the course is irrelevant, except to the extent that you had a grant. I am not sure, but it may be that the length of time ago might allow you to have another go at it. You would need to ask in your local VEC.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭WestportCFE

To see what courses that you can apply to using the CAO see this link

http://www2.cao.ie/fetac/fetac_search.php

In simple terms some colleges allow you to use Fetac to compete against leaving certs, whilst others only have a quota for Fetac. It is possible to get 500 points using Fetac if you are doing a level 6, 400 if doing a level 5. It is important that you gain the full award not just eight random modules. Some colleges allow you to use more than one sitting of Fetac exams.

All you do is apply through the CAO in the normal way and specify your PPS number on the form and indicate you are using Fetac as an application method.

Advertisement