Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My New Site

Options
  • 10-02-2012 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Well, I decided to get into the selling game of computers, not just repairing them. Check out my new site and let me know what you think. I've only listed mostly essential end user products at the moment, but I have a lot of other stock relating to repairing and replacing parts. Send me a mail and I'll see what I can get. Items I don't have listed are things like VGA cards, Harddrives, Memory, etc etc.

http://www.pcmegabits.com

It's my first attempt at a e-commerce site, but I'm still learning and working on it. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

Name the iPhone and the iPad properly. It's just one of my pet peeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

Might get a better response in the website review section -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1382

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

The first thing I check on a website is the "Contact Us" or "About Us" section.

If I don't see a name of the owner, an address and a landline number I usually leave the website immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

trad wrote: »
    The first thing I check on a website is the "Contact Us" or "About Us" section.

If I don't see a name of the owner, an address and a landline number I usually leave the website immediately.

+1 and no RBN and no Privacy Policy.

No address, no trust, no site review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Legaeldan

Thanks for the advice trad and tricky. I've added in as much as I could on there. I'm pretty sure I added in everything. Hopefully it will improve things on the site.

Thanks for the advice Paul. I have the live support function already there, I just keep forgetting to make it available. It's only available when I open the support window from my side... and I keep forgetting.....:o
    I'll try keep it active between office hours.

As for the latest news, I was just trying to work out the little bugs first, like the batch uploads. Now that it's all sorted, I will hopefully be updating it more regularly. Thanks for the help, and if there's any more suggestions, keep them coming! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

• The menubar, colour scheme & design looks dated tbh.
    • SEO needs work.
    • Search bar doesn't look like a search bar.

Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fokebox

Nice website and very good work! Structure, layouts, colors are fine and looks quite attractive. But I doubt about your logo and think that you need to redesign it. I have a feeling like it is from another website, may be because of the colors.
    Keep it up and kind regards,
    Fokebox.com

Just want to check.

What suggestions would you all have on colour scheme? I'm not really all that great with colours in web design. Thought the black looked ok...

And how do I go about sorting out SEO? On the e-commerce software I'm using, i've applied SEO to all pages, but I don't know how to tell if it's working of not.

(I'm a bit new to web design, it's a first attempt. :o)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭redman85

Legaeldan wrote: »
    What suggestions would you all have on colour scheme? I'm not really all that great with colours in web design. Thought the black looked ok...

http://kuler.adobe.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Shipping is a minimum of €10 which is a bit steep if you are only looking for a few cables. You should look into fastway, they can do up to 30kg for around 5 or 6 quid. For smaller items like cables and that An Post would only be around a euro or two

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

Hi nice one,

the name of your company font colour is a bit dull compared to the blue on the bulb. could make font size bigger as bulbs are more attracting that the name when I look at first.

someone above suggested you visit your wording on iphone and ipad

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭benbob65

Legaeldan wrote: »
    i've applied SEO to all pages, but I don't know how to tell if it's working of not.
    Very simple to find out indeed. Google something like "pc parts" or whatever your core product is + your target location. If you come up #1, seo is perfect, top 3: seo is good. Page 1: seo is on the right track but needs a lot of work. Not on page 1: seo needs lots of work, fast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 mhkdeveloper

I check you site and check also category and product page URL.
    URL is not seo friendly so please use category or product slug in URL so its easy to find google url belongs to which content or page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Hello, congrats on your new site.

Had a quick look and would suggest that you revise the grammar in your "About us" section. You need to move a few commas around and restructure a couple of sentences.

Uh oh, here's a nice split infinitive:
    "...which is why we've invested in building a website that allows them to securely manage their accounts without intervention"

I would suggest you change it to read "...allows them to manage their accounts securely and without intervention" (although I'm not sure what you mean by intervention there)

Maybe I'm being pedantic but I usually judge a company's professionalism on things like this. Bad grammar or - even worse - bad spelling would make me worry I was dealing with a Mickey Mouse set-up and that any problems (with billing, delivery, whatever) would be a pain to resolve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

You should revise your title tags to improve your onsite SEO.

Just at a glance -

1) Your home page title should include a key phrase, something like "Computer Parts and Accessories - PCMegabits.com"

2) The iPhone/iPad accessories page could definitely do with using something like "iPhone Accessories" in the title, that's surely got a heap of searches but I'd imagine it's also highly competitive.

3) See what you can do to change your urls - category-25.html is obviously not going to be very useful to SE's or users.

Advertisement