Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call for submissions: Irish Undergraduate Mathematical Magazine

Options
  • 10-02-2012 5:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hello all!

A group of UCC students have established a national mathematics magazine for undergraduates and are looking for submissions nationwide. The first issue is planned for mid-March 2012, with the closing date for submissions being the 24th of February - full details can be found on the website www.iumm.org

We hope to hear from you!

Best,
    UCC Maths Soc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Good call Ryan! ;)

I know a few undergrads browse the forum, so I'm hoping people will be interested. The basic idea is for undergrads in Ireland to share interesting maths with each other. The originality criteria is obviously quite low (your proof of the Riemann Hypothesis should go somewhere else :D) but I think in one way potential articles that discuss "old" topics are "original", in that for the author the ideas are new and exciting, and the reading audience will possibly never have seen (or never will see) the topic of discussion, and so the ideas are new and exciting to them, too. The magazine is about sharing knowledge rather than creating it, I suppose.

There's a sample article on the website!

The submissions deadline's quite soon (two weeks) owing to the end of the UCC term. I hope people are interested!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,846 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Excellent idea Ryan. I wouldn't mind contributing something at some point (not quite nailing my colours to the mast here I know) along the lines of applications of maths to real world problems/design and stuff like that, that is if I'm eligible, not being a student... Either way, I look forward to reading each issue - it's great that students are taking such interest and hopefully it'll be a great success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Just want to voice my support too. I'll spread the word around the maths dept in N.U.I. Maynooth.

I'm glad you like the idea! People have responded quite positively, but I'm just worried that the close submissions date will be an obstacle to submissions coming in...
    Excellent idea Ryan. I wouldn't mind contributing something at some point (not quite nailing my colours to the mast here I know) along the lines of applications of maths to real world problems/design and stuff like that, that is if I'm eligible, not being a student... Either way, I look forward to reading each issue - it's great that students are taking such interest and hopefully it'll be a great success.

We're definitely willing to relax the student authorship thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Heard about this during the week, Me & one other guy in tcd are very
    interested in contributing, he said he'd ask others so possibly more
    will join. However it depends on having free time, which is scarce these
    days :( Might not happen. When is the deadline for the second one?

What are you guys thinking of writing about? I'd love to do some
    research into how to relate a classical version of Frobenius' theorem
    to it's more modern version and try to find, what I perceive to be, it's
    connection with Dirac strings (though I could be wrong :p) but this stuff
    is a bit too heavy (hence why I'm trying it ;)) and prepare something
    nice on this. Coincidentally doing this is a fantastic way to reinforce and
    expand some vector calculus. I probably wont get it done but fcuk it
    worth a try :cool:

I've got a cool thing on Abel's theorem on the insolubility of the quintic as
    well that I'd say people would like. Want to do more on both of these
    things as well as many others first though :o

• Advertisement

Heard about this during the week, Me & one other guy in tcd are very
    interested in contributing, he said he'd ask others so possibly more
    will join. However it depends on having free time, which is scarce these
    days :( Might not happen. When is the deadline for the second one?

The second one would be in the new semester in October. Is the deadline for this issue too close for people do you think? I'm worried people won't have enough time!

Just a note to say that the first issue of the Irish Undergraduate Mathematical Magazine has been published online at www.iumm.org!

A handful of hard copies are being sent to TCD, UCD and NUIM. There'll be a good few floating around UCC in the coming week, but they'll be scarce soon enough; send me a PM if you'd like one.

In the end we received only 2 external submissions, but we think that's due to the time-frame involved. We're all set to bring out the next issue next November, so get the thinking caps on! :D

Advertisement