Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many Irish lived in Kilburn at its peak?

Options
  • 10-02-2012 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Kilburn is known to have the highest proportion of Irish-born people in London. Indeed, I know some Irish-born people (mid-twenties) who reside there, and have visited it on a few occasions (and will be doing so again this St. Patrick’s Day).

However, it seems to have been transformed from the fabled ‘County Kilburn’ of old by waves of emigration from other, more far-flung places.

According to its Wikipedia page, Kilburn was last recorded as having 13% Irish-born residents, not a small number when you consider many of the Irish who lived there at one point left in the 1950s, and may have passed away by now.

What I would like to know is, does anyone know when Kilburn’s number of Irish-born residents was it its peak? And what percentage of the population did they comprise? If anyone has any good academic articles or books they could recommend on the subject, I’d appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Have a look at the census returns for Brent, that should give you an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

I read an article once which said Brent had 200,000 irish born people, this was 15 years ago though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Joey123

El Vino wrote: »
    I read an article once which said Brent had 200,000 irish born people, this was 15 years ago though.

I doubt it was ever that many. I checked the 2001 Census and it said there were 18,313 Irish-born people living there, or 7% of the Borough overall. It said this was a 2% drop from the 1991 figure. I presume the one for 2011 hasn't been published yet.

I'd love to see one from the 1970s though, to get a clearer idea of the number of Irish-born people there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

The only stat I know about Brent is that currently it's the Blackest area in the UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Joey123

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The only stat I know about Brent is that currently it's the Blackest area in the UK

Statistically, Lambeth has a larger black community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

Blacker than the Black Country, impossible!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Joey123 wrote: »
    Statistically, Lambeth has a larger black community.

oh maybe then Brent has the fewest white people, or it's per capita or something

Advertisement