Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6,845 Meteor & eMobile customers' data stolen.

Options
  • 10-02-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭

nCHYE.jpg

"Eircom has revealed that the details of 6,845 eMobile and Meteor customers were contained on laptops that were stolen"

Eircom is Irelands version of ATT and they own 99.99% of the copper in the last mile { from exchange to your house } in Ireland.

" Eircom has revealed that the personal details of 6,845 eMobile and Meteor customers and 686 Meteor staff were contained on three of its laptops that were stolen."

" Although Eircom has an encryption policy for its laptops, it is understood none of the three stolen were encrypted. "

"In most cases the data at risk includes names, addresses and telephone numbers, however for 146 customers financial data including bank account details may be at risk.

There is also a risk for 404 Meteor post-pay customers, who applied online in the first half of last year.
    For these people a range of documents they used to prove their identity in their applications - like passport or drivers licence details, photo IDs or utility bills - were included.

In some cases bank account, Laser or credit card details are also at risk."

But at least they have a policy in place......

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0210/eircom.html

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You have to bear in mind this is part of the same company who thinks GSM is a secure form of alarm monitoring ..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Kingdomkerry

I was one of the 146 customers who's financial data is a risk (my bank account details were stolen). I got a phonecall this morning but never copped on to ask for compensation. Would I be entitled to compensation? A new Samsung Galaxy S II would be nice (I lost my original and have a crap phone at present) or at least they I want them to terminate my contract so I can start again and get a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Typical ireland......No one thought of encrypting the laptops? Ah sure till be grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

KoolKid wrote: »
    You have to bear in mind this is part of the same company who thinks GSM is a secure form of alarm monitoring ..:eek:
    In certain ways it is better than the previous landline option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Victor wrote: »
    In certain ways it is better than the previous landline option.

I would have thought Gsm is far better. Landlines can be easily cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,257 ✭✭✭✭Victor

GSM can suffer from being jammed / hi-jacked / poor coverage / loss of service / bill not paid.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Jamming is the real concern. It is considered, in the industry, an unsecure form of monitoring. Most stations will only accept a GSM connection after the customer puts in writing they have been made aware of the risks of jamming. Eircom, do the opposiate. They still push GSM to the likes of UPC customers while also deceiving them by saying the alarm can't be monitored over their , more secure, UPC line.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

JG009 wrote: »
    Typical ireland......No one thought of encrypting the laptops? Ah sure till be grand!

They hold ISO 27001 for their datacentres so know well what to do. More like ****wits in marketing copying databases...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭kala85

If u don't use gsm . What can u use outside of landline

You can use radio.

• Advertisement
Advertisement