Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving lessons and full foreign License

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I am in process of getting an Irish drivers license. I just did the theory test and have applied for the provisional/leaners permit.

Ive just been told that I need to do 12 hours of driving lessons as well, before I can apply for full license and test.

Is this correct? I have two full foreign licenses (non recognized unfortunately- Canadian and another one). I had a UK provisional 15 years ago...I've been driving for years.

I was hoping to apply for full test as soon as I had my learners permit.

Is there any way around this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Nope (as far as I know). I had a full licence that wasn't recognised and had to go through the whole rigmarole too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Is there no way of getting an international license? I thought they were cheap enough for a year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭brian076

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »
    I am in process of getting an Irish drivers license. I just did the theory test and have applied for the provisional/leaners permit.

Ive just been told that I need to do 12 hours of driving lessons as well, before I can apply for full license and test.

Is this correct? I have two full foreign licenses (non recognized unfortunately- Canadian and another one). I had a UK provisional 15 years ago...I've been driving for years.

No you have to do the 12 lessons but you don't have to wait 6 months to do the test. You can do the 12 EDTs asap and apply for the test in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,964 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Is there no way of getting an international license? I thought they were cheap enough for a year.

An International Drivers Permit is only a translation of your licence into multiple languages and it's issued by the AA or similar organisations.

You still need to have a valid licence to drive, all the IDP does is makes it easier if you get stopped in a non EU country or one which doesn't use an EU language.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

You can drive temporarily (up to 12 months) on your Canadian licence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

OUTOFSYNC wrote: »

What about doing your test up the north and getting a UK liscence (probably as dear but if you can get a reissue of your learner permit, might be something to look into as you've to wait 6 months before applying to take the full test too in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

...you've to wait 6 months before applying to take the full test too in Ireland)
    The full Canadian licence allows the six month wait to be skipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Am helping an American cousin get on the roads here in the best, fastest and cheapest way possible. For what its worth, here is what we have found out.

He has been driving in the US for over 20 years and has a flawless driving record there. Yet he is having to go down the ridiculous learner permit, 12 lessons road before he can do his test here and get his full license. Most learners here have to wait 6 months from when they get their learners permit to when they get to do their test. This is to ensure that they have had sufficient time behind the wheel to practice what they have learned in their 12 lessons.

We were told by an RSA official that if you get copy of of your US driving record from your local US DMV and send that into the RSA, along with a copy of your US drivers license, it will be entered into your file that you are a qualified driver from another country with a good driving record. Your file will be noted that when you apply to do you test, you will not have to wait the normal 6 months that most learners are made wait. I would imagine that the set up would be the same with Canadians too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Am helping an American cousin get on the roads here in the best, fastest and cheapest way possible. For what its worth, here is what we have found out.

He has been driving in the US for over 20 years and has a flawless driving record there. QUOTE]

That might be true ProudDUB but the standard of the driving test there and here is vastly different which is why he can't exchange an American Licence for an Irish one.

But yes you are spot on about the 6 month thing. All he has to do is forward his licence to the appropriate department who will then confirm he's a qualified driver in his home country which will allow him to bypass the 6 Month Wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

In the case of Canadian licences they should try the UK first to see if there is any reciprocal agreements in place for a straight swop as the Canadians regonise a UK licence.
    This could save him/her some time in getting a licence also this reciprocal agreement between Ireland and other countries can be good except for Australia when I was there the local DOT would not regonise my Full Irish licence (ARTIC)
    and the pleb working in the office said that Australian conditions for driving were different to Ireland and more dangerous I replied so you get snow and ice and now how to use your gears to slow you down without braking.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

In the case of Canadian licences they should try the UK first to see if there is any reciprocal agreements in place for a straight swop as the Canadians regonise a UK licence.
    This could save him/her some time in getting a licence also this reciprocal agreement between Ireland and other countries can be good except for Australia when I was there the local DOT would not regonise my Full Irish licence (ARTIC)
    and the pleb working in the office said that Australian conditions for driving were different to Ireland and more dangerous I replied so you get snow and ice and now how to use your gears to slow you down without braking.
    Rules for exchange
    The following conditions must be met before a licence can be granted in exchange for a GB one:
    you must be normally resident in GB and have a permanent address here
    Canadian licences
    If you are the holder of a Canadian licence you will receive automatic transmission only when exchanging for a British licence. This can only be upgraded to manual upon presentation of confirmation, from the relevant licensing authority, of a manual test being passed.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I understand if the person was driving an auto that's all they would be entitled to drive but its better than having to go through all the hoops,As for being a resident of the UK if you have a relative or friend use there address.
    I have a mate that headed to Canada to do long distance truck driving with his Irish licence he would have been required to go through the whole process again with a UK licence he just has to do abs braking.

Advertisement