Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest in chimney

Options
  • 10-02-2012 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

Please move if in the wrong forum.

We have a nest in our chimney, quite low down. Possible starling as we have loads around here. There seem to be young chicks going by the chirping. We have a wire covering on the chimney but there must be a gap somewhere.

So what do I do? I don't want to move them on ifthere are chicks, and I don't want to harm the birds in any way.

If there are chicks when will they leave the nest?

Also when they are gone who would I call to check the covering on the chimney so it doesn't happen next yr?
    Many thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

It seems a bit early for chicks to be on the scene but others will be able to give more accurate advice and it might be possible seeing as we've had a mild winter, but is it possible that its an injured bird that you can hear in your chimney rather than chicks? Can you see a nest or is it just calls you can hear? Another alternative is that it could be just a few birds that are roosting in your chimney after finding a way in.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

Thanks for reply.
    I'll pull out the gas fire tonight and see if I can see anything. The chirps are very soft and it sounds like a few birds. But the chimney breast might be muffling the noise.
    We did have a bird possibly fly down last yr and it was then that I checked ( from ground level) to ensure the chimney was still covered. We have 9 cats and dont want one of the birds to come into the house either because of them. I have taped up the fire guard as a precaution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

When I had a nest in the chimney, the chirping sound came in waves, every time the parents came to feed the chicks, they'd all start up and then the sound would die down when the parent left. You'll need to sweep that chimney when they've gone and don't use the gas fire till you do, it could be lethal. You can't see or smell carbon monoxide gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Hi folks,

I have a very similar situation to that of the OP. A nest either in the attic or in a drain just outside our first-floor bedroom. We've been hearing noise in the mornings for the last two weeks or so. Going by the chirping, it sounds as if chicks have arrived.

As yellowlabrador said, the noise seems to happen when the parent arrives to feed them - it's generally quiet apart from that.

Does anyone have an idea of how long they're likely to be there before leaving the nest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Well if there in the gutter area or attic of the house they probably are House Sparrows or Starlings. Sparrows fledge around 11-16 days and Starlings 20-22 days. They may have another brood in the same nest though too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement