Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour dentist in dublin?

Options
  • 10-02-2012 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Just as a precaution I'm trying to load some emergency numbers into my mobile and have noticed that there seems to be no 24 hour emergency dentist in Dublin. The dental hospital is open until 11 pm only. According to their website I would have to leave my number on an answering machine and wait for them to call me back. But what if, for example, I accidentally knocked out a tooth at midnight which would have to be re-implanted within about an hour to be saved? Where should I call/go in such a situation? Is there any hospital A&E that has a dentist on duty overnight? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

While you're at it, don't forget to store the number of your local nuclear fallout shelter in your mobile - better be safe than sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

tomdublin wrote: »
    Just as a precaution I'm trying to load some emergency numbers into my mobile and have noticed that there seems to be no 24 hour emergency dentist in Dublin. The dental hospital is open until 11 pm only. According to their website I would have to leave my number on an answering machine and wait for them to call me back. But what if, for example, I accidentally knocked out a tooth at midnight which would have to be re-implanted within about an hour to be saved? Where should I call/go in such a situation? Is there any hospital A&E that has a dentist on duty overnight? Any help appreciated. Thanks!

Just google it- it'll be right under the number for the 24 hour dermatologist or 24 hour optician...;)

Or just go on boards- I don't sleep that much.....

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomdublin

Just google it- it'll be right under the number for the 24 hour dermatologist or 24 hour optician...;)

Or just go on boards- I don't sleep that much.....

That's a bit different: there is no conceivable need to see a dermatologist or optician in the middle of the night but dentist there might well be given the number of fights and accidents in which teeth get knocked out. Every large city I know of has either a 24 hour dental hospital or a system whereby dentists take turns providing an out-of-hour service with a single emergency contact number. Is there really no such arrangement here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

ah just what i want @3:00 am sunday. some lad full of booze with a mouthful of broken teeth......

In my experience anyone with a toothache @midnight wasn't pain free a few hours earlier. the amt of calls i get @4:30 pm every friday....:rolleyes:
    "it's been sore since wednesday but i was afraid it'd flair up over the weekend"

As regards a severe trauma case, what can most dentists do bar extractions? usually people cant open for x rays or any kind of complex treatment for a fair while after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

That's a bit different: there is no conceivable need to see a dermatologist ....QUOTE]

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I seen a flyer for 24 hour dental care in the **edit** place the other day.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I seen a flyer for 24 hour dental care in the **edit** place the other day.

Thanks for that but I checked the website, it closes at 11 pm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭Thud

just make sure to get your fighting done before 11 so

No names people,

There are no 24hour dental services in the country, dental problems are not super urgent and can usually wait a few hours. If you in a fight best go to A&E to see about more serious head injuries if your face got traumatized. They will send to on the the dental hospital or your own dentist the following day.

No names people,

There are no 24hour dental services in the country, dental problems are not super urgent and can usually wait a few hours. If you in a fight best go to A&E to see about more serious head injuries if your face got traumatized. They will send to on the the dental hospital or your own dentist the following day.
    I don't intend to get into a fight but people have their teeth knocked out all the time in other ways, e.g. by falling off their bike, being hit by a car or other accidents - this happens to thousands of people every year! As I understand it, once the tooth is knocked out you have about an hour for it to be cemented back by a dentist, otherwise the tooth is gone forever, so being told to see a dentist the next day is pointless. I wonder whether normal A&E consultants are trained to reinsert knocked-out teeth, but I doubt it.

• Advertisement

There is an on call service from the dental hospital to the A&E up to 12 at night. I know I did it for a while god help me. The A&E people know what to do if this happens and who to call. The dentist comes to the A&E if there is a reimplantation required. So best go to A&E as you could have more serious injuries. If its during the day just go to your dentist who will see you as a matter of urgency, so long as there are not other more serious injuries.

There is an on call service from the dental hospital to the A&E up to 12 at night. I know I did it for a while god help me. The A&E people know what to do if this happens and who to call. The dentist comes to the A&E if there is a reimplantation required. So best go to A&E as you could have more serious injuries. If its during the day just go to your dentist who will see you as a matter of urgency, so long as there are not other more serious injuries.

Thanks that's very helpful. Is it to any A&E or only to a particular hospital? And what do they do if it's after midnight?

I am guessing you will turn into a pumpkin.....

I think you worrying too much, Most traumas happen during the day at sporting events. Ones that happen at night can be seen the following morning and are usually adults so we have implants now instead of reimplanting a tooth (which rarely works out well long term).

I think you worrying too much, Most traumas happen during the day at sporting events. Ones that happen at night can be seen the following morning and are usually adults so we have implants now instead of reimplanting a tooth (which rarely works out well long term).

OK I won't worry too much about it, just wondering though which A&E the dentist from the dental hospital goes to (or is it any A&E)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

OK I won't worry too much about it, just wondering though which A&E the dentist from the dental hospital goes to (or is it any A&E)?

Ok for dental/ facial trauma or serious infection you are best to go to st James's or the mater as both have a max fax service, don't bother them with toothaches as they will refuse to see you...
    Some extra emergency info for your phone;
    The mater is best for heart issues, Beaumont for head trauma or neurosurgical issues, st Vincent's for transplants, st James's for junkie detox and HIV / STDs, crumlin for kids.....

Ok for dental/ facial trauma or serious infection you are best to go to st James's or the mater as both have a max fax service, don't bother them with toothaches as they will refuse to see you...
    Some extra emergency info for your phone;
    The mater is best for heart issues, Beaumont for head trauma or neurosurgical issues, st Vincent's for transplants, st James's for junkie detox and HIV / STDs, crumlin for kids.....

Cheers :-)

Advertisement