Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting college at 17? Will I be too young?

Options
  • 10-02-2012 12:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Well basically I'm a 5th year at the moment and I'm 15, I'm the youngest in the year and also the shortest :/ I didn't do ty because it's very weak in my school and my cousin who did it the year before me spent most of her classes just watching DVDs.. Anyways last year me and my parents decided that I'd troop on and then repeat 5th year but now I'm half way threw the year I'm going grand like :/ I mean I'm not goin to get 600 points but I understand what's goin on in every subject.. Except for chemistry which I'm doing outside school :( I have a really good maths teacher this year and English and I don't want to lose them is I repeat but I feel I'm way too young to go to college next year when I've no idea what I want to do and I think I should have picked different subjects...:confused:

And another thing is the fact that all my friends who are much taller than me and all about a year older are able to go "out" but I'm stil too baby faced to get in anywhere.... Basically I don't want to spend half of my first year in college sitting at home :confused: any opions? I'm soo Confused as to what I should do :/ oh and sorry for the bad spelling :D I'm dsyleix :L

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

First of all, welcome to boards!

Secondly, your writing and spelling are excellent for somebody with dyslexia, so congratulations on working hard to overcome what can be a lifetime scourge for some.

We have a forum full to the brim with people your own age, it's called Clearasil & Hormones and it can be found here. You'll be in good company over there, but remember not to give away any personal details or anything like that.

You'll more than likely meet people who are going through exactly what you're going through now, people who've been there, done that, and people who will give you all sorts of advice on what activities you could be good at or you might enjoy trying.

Finally, this forum is for people who have questions about the boards.ie site itself, so why not head on over to the Clearasil & Hormones forum. You'll meet plenty of people who are up way after bedtime on a school night!

Take care!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I don't think its a major problem if your 17. Most 1st years are 17 or 18 anyway. If you're getting on grand in 5th year then I suggest keep going and don't repeat unless you have to. College life is 5x better than secondary school.

Your only problem is getting in to nightclubs. But to be fair it depends where you want to go. I was in limerick and got asked about 3 times the whole year and I've a baby face :P Your student i.d will guarantee you into somewhere. Dublin are very strict on i.d's but not on student i.d's and Cork are half and half. Anytime I've been in Waterford I've never got asked either.

Also, I'm not encouraging underage drinking :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't want to turn this into a discussion because that's not what this forum is for, but you can't beat a Garda Age Card. The good places will take them. The bad places won't want you in because you went to the trouble of getting a Garda Age Card, so the usually give a silly excuse like "Sorry, you need a tie tonight". Should you come back with a shirt and tie, Sorry, it a casual night tonight lads".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement