Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pond plants..

Options
  • 09-02-2012 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

I'm considering digging out a large pond/s in a boggy / swamp / turf /cutaway area. There is no natural flow of water running thru this area,

Question - what plants can i introduce to
    1. keep the pond fresh/aerated &
    2. give the pond a natural feel to attract waterfoul and wildlife

all advice appreciated............

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Hi There,

I'm considering digging out a large pond/s in a boggy / swamp / turf /cutaway area. There is no natural flow of water running thru this area,

Question - what plants can i introduce to
    1. keep the pond fresh/aerated &
    2. give the pond a natural feel to attract waterfoul and wildlife

all advice appreciated............

I planted a wildlife pond with native plants some years ago with great success. I can check all the species I used this evening but it was on a fertile acid brown earth so I don’t know how analogous it would be.

Some species I used which I believe tolerate more peaty acid would include yellow pond lily (Nuphar lutea), white pond lily (nymphaea alba), bog bean (Menyanthes), Marsh-marigold (Caltha palustris ), cat tail (Typha latifola), Frogbit (Hydrocharis morsus-ranae) Flowering Rush (Butomus umbellatusand), Pond Water-crowfoot (Ranunculus peltatus). The last four might be mainly for alkaline waters, I am not sure. They all are native and provide varied habitat excellent for wildlife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

hi, robp

thanks for list, are there any of those that would be too invasive overtime and take over, may only dig out 2 irregular ponds @ maybe 10m x 25m so i wouldnt want them to close over....

Was it yourself that started a thread on this.?.......name it / link to it if you can .

cheers for help.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

hi, robp

thanks for list, are there any of those that would be too invasive overtime and take over, may only dig out 2 irregular ponds @ maybe 10m x 25m so i wouldnt want them to close over....

Was it yourself that started a thread on this.?.......name it / link to it if you can .

cheers for help.......
    I don't think that thread was me, I don’t remember it. The Cattail or Reedmace and the Yellow pond lily are very vigorous. The pond needs a certain depth to control them. Cattail /Reedmace are emergent plants which are a very important type for wildlife. Perhaps a lesser aggressive plant to try would be Yellow Flag Iris (Iris pseudacorus).

For oxygenators there are several native types like hornwort but the native Pond Crow Foot I mentioned is very resilient. Whatever you choose avoid at all costs Canadian pondweed, curly waterweed or Nuttalls waterweed. Best of luck with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Why not just visit some similar local ponds and take samples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I have a small butyl lined pond in my garden its only 5 foot by 4 foot and there is a layer of mud at the bottom but I have a couple of potted lillies in it. is there anything i could put in that would flaot or doesnt require much soil on the bottom?

• Advertisement
Advertisement