Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Minder - Needed for 2 Beautiful Dogs

Options
  • 09-02-2012 9:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

We are looking for someone to look after our two dogs for about 6 months - 1 year MAX...

We have to leave in September, First Week..

They are a 2 year old Boxer and a 9 month old Staf.

They are two of the prettiest dogs you will ever meet and are extremely well trained, In House and Out..

They are best friends and we really don't want to have to sell them, we understand this is a lot to ask but we will provide Everything to the person who can do this for us..

We will provide all the food upfront and all our leads and toys if needed...

We can also discuss a fee with the person...

I know this is a lot to ask but it would help us a lot,

If you know anyone of your friends please ask them...

Full-9910419.jpegView2-9910418.jpegFull-9910421.jpeg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

im not in a position to help you but i hope you find someone who can, they are gorgeous! I know all the rescues are really busy but they might have a fosterer that could help if you tried some of them...good luck with the search

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 justjamie

thanks so much ill call them tomorrow :)
    Tiger and Tubby are their names :)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rookey

I would take them but I'm afraid you'd never get them back as they are far too lovable.... note to self.... I would make a really bad foster parent as I'd end up with A LOT of dogs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

First of all, I'd take them off Done Deal. I just wouldn't trust the amount of unscrupulous people on there looking for dogs for other reasons than having a pet.

Secondly I wouldn't be selling them!! If you really do want them back after a year, I would be getting in touch with as many rescues as possible, ask them to post pics with rehoming info, a lot of rescues will assist in this way, rehoming direct from the owner, posting on sites such as Irish pets and the rehoming section here. You need to reach out to 'the dog community' if you know what i mean, rather than just advertising to all and sundry on Done Deal

Oh and if they're not neutered/spayed - get this done before homing them with anyone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I'd take them off donedeal too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

is there absoultely no way you could bring the dogs with you ??? where are you moving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Tbh I think it would be hard to find someone who could mind the dogs for that length of time. A rescue may only take them if you are surrending them.

I think you best bet, if you have no friends that can take them, is to contact a few kennels and see if you can negotiate a long term rate with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 justjamie

To be honest my contract is for the year, so I will be there for the year, My Fiancee is coming but probably for only a few months..

She could end up going for 3 or 4 months or end up staying for 6 or 7, to be honest i cant see her staying past 4-6 months.

If anyone has anyone in mind that would be amazing, the reason we couldnt bring them is im only going for 1 year and they have to spend months in quarantine before their flight home...

The second she arrives home she will be collecting them, probably straight from the airport as they are her babies :)

Ill get her to take them off donedeal asap.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, any help is appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

In which case why not get some boarding kennel recommendations - let us know which area you're in and we can help with that - and speak to a boarding kennel about long term boarding, if they are in a rescue they will be in a kennel situation anyway plus they could be in a rescue for more than 6 months or even a year the way things are at the moment.

To be honest this would be the main option I would pursue, you would be paying for professional care and you would be getting the dogs back when your partner returns to the country, it's highly unlikely you'll find a kindly person to take them in for a few months, there are so many dogs in rescues who are desperate for foster homes and are much more needy cases than your dogs to be frank, if you can afford to pay for professional care then I think that's what you should do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Maybe I can help. I use a kennels that are fantastic ; there is a huge 10 or so acre field, a river, a couple of different " areas"
    , & each kennel can access a covered outside section; part heated ( I think) part shaded. I know that they will house two dogs together in a larger run for a reduced fee. They also do long stays fir people who have exactly your problem, or who might be I'll & temporarily not able to mind a dog for health reasons.
    You would have to come up with payment but for a long term stY it would be reduced ( normally) from the usual daily fee. I suspect you would also have to organise a direct debit and deposit. I highly recommend the place thou the kennel area are not " pretty" the service, care & environment are fantastic.
    PM me if you are interested in details.
    Thou I think that you are looking for someone to do it for free?
    This would then not suite you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Try Woofys ( woofys.ie ) have heard some great reports about them lately, acres to run around on, & the dogs are kept very occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

I can't see any rescue taking them in because a) that would take up two spaces for rescue doggies, b) it will be difficult on the dogs settling in to another home and then moving on again when you come back and c) it is very difficult to find someone to commit to two dogs for that length of time and then have to part with them.

Have had this request from many people (am in a rescue) and have had to turn them down simply because if I take two dogs in, that is two less spaces I have for rescue dogs, and over a period of a year, that is an awful lot of dogs that could have been fostered but due to space restrictions it wasn't possible.

Your best bet is a brilliant kennel, but again, be careful because a significant period of time in a kennel could also be damaging unless they are interacted with daily and on a very personal level, or you may need to consider rehoming them...at the end of the day, what is right for the dogs? - its their welfare you have to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

You've not said where your going but if it were me there would only be two options that I'd consider - either take the dogs with me, or don't go at all.

You are going to find it extremely difficult to find any other option tbh other than putting them in kennels long term, which is something I just wouldn't do under any circumstances myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

you might get a foster for the year. certainly if my dog was to drop dead tomorrow i'd consider it, i hope you get sorted

Advertisement