Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aggressive pup?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

hi we just recently took a pup home and everything is seemingly fine he sleeps a lot of the day and runs around and plays
    however if he doesn't get his own way for example hes not aloud on the couch or he bites someone and is told to stop he goes into this mode wear he really aggressively barks and growls at you any tips or advice feeling a bit lost here.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Is this a terrier?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Yeah that one is surprisingly easy to deal with,

If he has a favourite toy, chewy, play with it like it's the best thing in the world, make sure it gets his attention, then when the growling has stopped let him have it as a reward for being good.

When he goes for the couch in a firm (not loud) voice say "NO!" and take him down, if he protests, or tries to bite curl up your hands into a loose fist and turn your back to him for about 30 seconds, then resume as if nothing happened.

You really need to be consistent, and forget about what's on TV or whatever and teach him the couch is out of bounds. During a play session you can let out a yelp! when or if he bites, and end the play time, that will teach him, play time ends when he bites even just a little, and the only thing he is allowed to bite is his toys.

Please remember, never scold, shout at, or punish the dog, it won't know what or why it happened for, just begin to ignore it (standing with your back turned) when it's not behaving properly.

Finally the dog is not being aggressive, it's easy to assume otherwise with a bite or a snarl, it's being assertive - taking what it wants - a place on the couch, where everyone else sits. So just gently remind him that his position is on the floor, and no where else. Keep him interested in the toy by charging it up with your energy, and only let him have it when he is behaving.

Pups are really just testing how far they can push their limits, and if you give an inch, they will take a mile, decide on the household rules, how to react when something happens, and stick to it to the letter. After the first week it should all settle down and he will take his place on the floor.

I know it sounds a bit odd, but it worked for my pup in 2 days, and she never even thinks about climbing onto the couch now.

Hope it helps.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Vince32 wrote: »
    Yeah that one is surprisingly easy to deal with,

If he has a favourite toy, chewy, play with it like it's the best thing in the world, make sure it gets his attention, then when the growling has stopped let him have it as a reward for being good.

When he goes for the couch in a firm (not loud) voice say "NO!" and take him down, if he protests, or tries to bite curl up your hands into a loose fist and turn your back to him for about 30 seconds, then resume as if nothing happened.

IME this never works with terriers, if that's what the dog is and it sounds very much like a terrier to me ;)

Never had alot of experience with terriers, my first dog was a JRT but he lived in the back yard and barely even seen the couch, never mind sitting on it.

If it is a terrier, AJ might be able to help you alot more than I could, hope it all goes well for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Another option is to leave a light lead on him, and if he growls when corrected simply lead him out by the lead somewhere on his own and shut the door. Leave him there for 1 minute and open the door again but walk away ignoring him, he gets no fanfare for coming in. He'll soon learn that if he growls back he gets put out and away from the fun.

Terriers (if it is one) often love a bit of aggro so happily to react to verbal disipline and get excited, so using completely calm methods can work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

Hes a pup and hasn't learned what the house rules are yet. Most of us go through it, with bringing a new pup home. I found the lead on in the house as TooManyDogs advised invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 moltisanti

He is actually a lab/retriever so cant put it down to being a terrier :p

thanks for the tips do and ill try to stick with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My Labrador was like that when he was a puppy. Honestly mine just grew out of it, hes a big four year old teddy bear now :) Give your dog treats if he stops when you ask him too, even at times when he is quiet and minding his own buisness give him treats then, he'll learn that being calm gets him nice things, you can never go wrong with food/treats with Labradors :D ... As for putting him in another room if he misbehaves my labrador just got really irritated by that and took to eating the door instead! I never tried the lead thing (Frankie used to chew his lead anyways so i doubt it would have worked with him anyways haha) so can't say alot on that. Labradors typically are quite boisterous as puppies and generally do calm down, not completely though mines still got a few loose screws :D

SingItOut wrote: »
    My Labrador was like that when he was a puppy. Honestly mine just grew out of it, hes a big four year old teddy bear now :) Give your dog treats if he stops when you ask him too, even at times when he is quiet and minding his own buisness give him treats then, he'll learn that being calm gets him nice things, you can never go wrong with food/treats with Labradors :D ... As for putting him in another room if he misbehaves my labrador just got really irritated by that and took to eating the door instead! I never tried the lead thing (Frankie used to chew his lead anyways so i doubt it would have worked with him anyways haha) so can't say alot on that. Labradors typically are quite boisterous as puppies and generally do calm down, not completely though mines still got a few loose screws :D

I'm hoping this is just a puppy thing he will grow out of as for most of the day hes really calm and mostly just explores the rooms.

but the minute he doesn't get his way he gets very snappy and the more i say no the more aggressive he gets also i tried placing him back in his cage when he was doing this and he seems to just get more worked up
    hes also not aloud on walks yet im hoping that will calm him down considerably

any experience i have had with labs they have been so placid and calm guess i just got a bit worried

don't forget to play with him :) you can teach dogs loads in a game form, get the leash on him and get him to get a toy and bring it back, pull the leash lightly to encourage him to return and give him a few small treats, rinse and repeat. Your little one will be a great fetcher in no time. once he understands the game you can take the leash off.

While your waiting for the time you can take him outside, it's a great opportunity to teach him the basic commands, sit. stay, etc. There are tons of basic training vids on YT and he will learn it all very fast.

If he gets it wrong, just reset the exercise without speaking or looking at him, and you'll have it all ready for when it's time to introduce him to the outside world.

• Advertisement

also guys any tips on toilet training what we have been doing has gotten us nowere every hour we put him outside for 15 mins he just sits at the door crying and wont go out the back but waits untill we let him back in to go to the toilet in the kitchen:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

how old is the pup?

For toilet training, bring him out after every sleep, straight away, then after every time he is fed and or has had a drink these are the most important times as he will almost always want to go after these. When playing keep a close eye because generally 5 minutes in he will more than likely wander off for a wee!!

With the barking because he's not getting his own way, I would put him out of the room for that, wait until he quietens down then take him back in. The last thing you want is for him to grow thinking that this is ok!

garkane wrote: »
    how old is the pup?

For toilet training, bring him out after every sleep, straight away, then after every time he is fed and or has had a drink these are the most important times as he will almost always want to go after these. When playing keep a close eye because generally 5 minutes in he will more than likely wander off for a wee!!

With the barking because he's not getting his own way, I would put him out of the room for that, wait until he quietens down then take him back in. The last thing you want is for him to grow thinking that this is ok!

the pup is 8 weeks old

this what i am doing but he seems to only go in the kitchen and not the back garden ?? is there anything i should be doing differently

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

If your not going out the back with him then start this, otherwise he will wonder why his play time/dinner time gets rewarded with being put outside...

Stay out the back with him and say something, like, "go wee" - thats what i use, or something appropriate, and when he goes stop saying it, eventually he will learn this means go to the toilet!(takes time though)

Ah 8 weeks, it will take another few weeks easily before he learns inside is not the place to go, then when playing he will run for the back door(probably not making it) he cant hold it for long at all so when he needs to go he is just going to go, unfortunately!!

Patience is the biggest thing here.
    If you do not have a crate i definitely suggest getting one to help with the toilet training. the idea of a crate is that he sleeps in it so he wont want to wee where he sleeps, lock the door when he is sleeping, then when he wakes take him straight out "go wee" he does the business and you give him a nice tasty treat and rubs and play!

garkane wrote: »
    If your not going out the back with him then start this, otherwise he will wonder why his play time/dinner time gets rewarded with being put outside...

Stay out the back with him and say something, like, "go wee" - thats what i use, or something appropriate, and when he goes stop saying it, eventually he will learn this means go to the toilet!(takes time though)

Ah 8 weeks, it will take another few weeks easily before he learns inside is not the place to go, then when playing he will run for the back door(probably not making it) he cant hold it for long at all so when he needs to go he is just going to go, unfortunately!!

Patience is the biggest thing here.
    If you do not have a crate i definitely suggest getting one to help with the toilet training. the idea of a crate is that he sleeps in it so he wont want to wee where he sleeps, lock the door when he is sleeping, then when he wakes take him straight out "go wee" he does the business and you give him a nice tasty treat and rubs and play!

he does sleep in the crate and i will definitly be trying this thank you

I started with 4 sheets of a large newspaper in the kitchen where she did her business, and gave her a little praise for using them, then every 2nd or 3rd day took one away leaving 3 then 2, then on the last time we put the sheet right up against the back door, then I showed her I was putting the sheet outside and closed the door.

We had a few small accidents at first, but now she runs over to me and puts two paws on my leg or foot and lets out the tiniest of growls to let me know to open the door for her. Cute as a bug really :P

Alot of it is about building up routine and confidence, we got ours at 12 weeks old, and by week 15 we stopped getting the accidents entirely. But don't try to force things, just encourage the behaviour you want to see and you'll get the results you want in no time.

and as garkane said, the verbal cue is important to start with, love and hugs for a good job, and nothing at all for making a mistake. The dogs self control will get better with age until then just grin and keep at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

I'd agree with Gargane on going out the back with him.
    If he just stands there looking at you i'd walk around the garden slowly, more than likely he'll follow sniffing around and then wee and lots of praise. It might take some time at first as he'll be expecting to be left out. In time he should just go out himself.

Advertisement