Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does an 02 corolla ever need the timing chain looked at/serviced?

Options
  • 09-02-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering if an 02 corolla ever needs the timing chain looked at. Toyota guy told me never, but who can trust them....?

104k miles.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

batman1 wrote: »
    Hi

Just wondering if an 02 corolla ever needs the timing chain looked at. Toyota guy told me never, but who can trust them....?

104k miles.

Timing chains should last the life of the engine are aren't serviced or inspected but they can be effected by poor servicing/low oil/incorrect grade oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Generally where an engine is serviced to schedule with the recommended oil, the timing chain will last the lifetime of the engine. Some reports suggest that certain Nissan Almera's go against the grain in this regard and chains 'stretch'.

With your corolla, you should be ok. There is no servicing or inspection of a timing chain as Nissan Doctor said. If they are worn / tensioner faulty, you can hear a pronounced rattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

batman1 wrote: »
    but who can trust them..
    When you say a Toyota guy what do you mean and why can't you trust them???

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

When you say a Toyota guy what do you mean and why can't you trust them???

Main dealer.

Once told me clutch needed replacing. Didn't!

Rust formed around rear washer hose hole when still in warranty. Fobbed off on that one!

Told me needed a new stereo. A €600 new stereo. There was a coin in the CD player!

Friedn bought a used car. 'One owner'. Actually 3.

So no, I don't trust them...

• Registered Users Posts: 12 KGking

chains can stretch over time regardless of servicing,iv done a few on toyota yaris,the car will usely run bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement