Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Puppy to use Kennel

Options
  • 09-02-2012 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a 5 month old terrier, who is a house dog, but I want to try to get her used to being outside during the day, we have bough her a kennel but she dosnt seem to want to use it, except to chew it to bits!

She will only be outside for a couple of hours until the weather gets better. Anyone have any idea how to help introduce its purpose to her?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Put some nice thick bedding in it , also some toys like a kong etc but tbh my 2 HATE the Kennel, even if outside for 5mins & lashing rain they will sit at the back door.. so some dogs just don't like them!
    BONDIred wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a 5 month old terrier, who is a house dog, but I want to try to get her used to being outside during the day, we have bough her a kennel but she dosnt seem to want to use it, except to chew it to bits!

She will only be outside for a couple of hours until the weather gets better. Anyone have any idea how to help introduce its purpose to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭BONDIred

marley123 wrote: »
    Put some nice thick bedding in it , also some toys like a kong etc but tbh my 2 HATE the Kennel, even if outside for 5mins & lashing rain they will sit at the back door.. so some dogs just don't like them!

I`ll try putting her "indoor" bed in it and see if that makes any difference, it would be nice to know that she knows where to go for some rest and sleep when out the back garden instead of staring at the door and wanting to sleep on the couch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

:) Some dogs are just indoor dogs:) Have you tried using a crate inside?
    BONDIred wrote: »
    I`ll try putting her "indoor" bed in it and see if that makes any difference, it would be nice to know that she knows where to go for some rest and sleep when out the back garden instead of staring at the door and wanting to sleep on the couch!

marley123 wrote: »
    :) Some dogs are just indoor dogs:) Have you tried using a crate inside?

Yeah she sleeps in a crate at nite but this never locked

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

She probably won't associate the kennel as hers at the start, if you have something with her scent on it, or better still your own, something you won't mind losing, like an old sweater or jogging pants, just put them in with the bedding at sit with the dog making a big deal of it going in and coming back out a few times, or put a few treats or it's chew toy in there. She will soon learn it's hers and start enjoying it.

• Advertisement

Vince32 wrote: »
    She probably won't associate the kennel as hers at the start, if you have something with her scent on it, or better still your own, something you won't mind losing, like an old sweater or jogging pants, just put them in with the bedding at sit with the dog making a big deal of it going in and coming back out a few times, or put a few treats or it's chew toy in there. She will soon learn it's hers and start enjoying it.

Thanks for the advice, I`ll give it a go. Hopefully it wont take her long, would like to know that if she out the back garden and wants a sleep or its raining that she would just head straight in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

we had the same problem with our dog, we only got her at 18 months from a rescue so no idea of her pevious life, but we got her a kennel so that for the odd few hours that she had to be outside she would be comfortable, for the first few weeks she would not even go into it, we tried putting it in different positions in the garden, but she still insisted on just sitting by the door, , we put nice bedding in and some chew toys.....then one day last week after nearly a month, i came home looked out and there she was sleeping soundly inside, now she seems to like it, so keep trying, im sure your dog will get us to it

Advertisement