Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Endoscopy

Options
  • 09-02-2012 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Not looking for medical advice, just the benefit of others experience!

Greetings
    I had my first ever Endosocopy today and it has left me with a lot of questions. I had it done because of acid reflux. When I came around from sedation I didnt get to speak to a doctor, just a nurse who told me that everything was fine except that I have a Hiatal Hernia, and that they had taken 10 biopsies. She also told me that they want to do a second Endoscopy in 6 weeks time. I was prescribed proton pump inhibitors. I was too drowsy to really engage with her and I left the hospital with my partner.

I am now at home and I have a lot of questions, mainly: why could they possibly want to do a second Endoscopy in 6 weeks time? Is this usual/unusual? Also why take so many biopsies? I thought they only take biopsies if they suspect Barrets and surely they would have informed me if they do.

I would really appreciate if anybody had a similar experience if they would let me know.

B

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

You really need to speak to your doctor about this and express your concerns.

Best wishes to you.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Brenner77 wrote: »
    Not looking for medical advice, just the benefit of others experience!

Greetings
    I had my first ever Endosocopy today and it has left me with a lot of questions. I had it done because of acid reflux. When I came around from sedation I didnt get to speak to a doctor, just a nurse who told me that everything was fine except that I have a Hiatal Hernia, and that they had taken 10 biopsies. She also told me that they want to do a second Endoscopy in 6 weeks time. I was prescribed proton pump inhibitors. I was too drowsy to really engage with her and I left the hospital with my partner.

I am now at home and I have a lot of questions, mainly: why could they possibly want to do a second Endoscopy in 6 weeks time? Is this usual/unusual? Also why take so many biopsies? I thought they only take biopsies if they suspect Barrets and surely they would have informed me if they do.

I would really appreciate if anybody had a similar experience if they would let me know.

B
    Thats often the case for endoscopy patients, being rather drowsy afterwards so in the morning, give the unit a call and ask to speak to the nurse manager, she'll help you.

With regards to the biopsies.. Are you sure it was 10? Realistically, they could ahve taken them from areas damaged by the reflux, but the nurse will also confirm why they took so many.

As for returning in 6 weeks... Not unusual at all so be get too freaked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Brenner77

Thanks Chew Chew

Do you know why they do a repeat procedure after 6 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Brenner77 wrote: »
    Thanks Chew Chew

Do you know why they do a repeat procedure after 6 weeks?

The doc mightnt have seen everything or they might want to look at other areas of your stomach which the doc mightnt have seen before the sedation wore off

I have had a good few off these done so you should be ok

Good look with the tablets i take them myself

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭QuiteInterestin

Hi OP,
    Hope you able to get some answers when you contacted them on Friday.
    Don't mean to derail the thread but I was just wondering how long you had to wait for the procedure? I've been having problems with my stomach etc and have been on 2 rounds of PPIs. The doctor said if it didn't improve I would have to look at having scopes done. Finished my prescription about 2 weeks ago and as bad as ever now, so going to head back to my doctor next week where I'm hoping she'll send my on for further tests to find out whats going on. Just wondering how long I'll have to wait to get these tests done?

• Advertisement
Advertisement