Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cohabiting with partner on social welfare and fees

Options
  • 09-02-2012 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hope someone can help me with this.

My girlfriend moved in with me a while ago, she is currently at college and because of her parents circumstances, was having her fees paid for her by the local authority.

I lost my job recently and have gone on Jobseekers Allowance, the office insisted that I declare her as cohabiting, and this has meant that we will be getting more benefits on JA as well as rent allowance.

We're just concerned that this is going to affect her free fees situation come next term. Does anybody know if that's the case?

Thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Maintenance grants/fees are determined based on your position in October of the year prior to applying. You don't have to tell them if your circumstances change for the better during the academic year.

Obviously next year's grant/fees are a different matter. She may or may not be considered an independent student at that stage, but it shouldn't make much difference if you are not working, as either way she'll likely meet the means test.

For full details of the grant scheme http://www.studentfinance.ie/downloads/Student%20Grant%20Scheme%202011.pdf

Advertisement