Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

insurance refusal due to license ' restrictions'

Options
  • 09-02-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Today I have tried to put my girlfriend on my Quinn direct policy but have been told since she is under 21 'her license won't let her drive that type of car'. She has a provisional at the minute but the representitive said even with a full license they still would not cover her. The car is a 05 Saab 1.9 120bhp diesel so is by no means a 'performance car' and I've never heard a refusal of a quote for a car because of license limitations in the way she has described it,only for motorbikes for instance.

I queried this about the license 'restrictions' but got no further with an answer.

Any help would be appreciated as to if this os correct or them just being awkward
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

What Quinn are telling you is that their own policy is not to insure certain people on certain cars. They aren't obliged to add your girl-friend to the policy and if that is their stance the only way it will be happening is if you are moving insurance company to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As the request is in relation to an addition to your policy, they would be entitled to refuse to extend cover to a third party for any reason really.

There are rules in relation to an obligation to quote for insurance on any vehicle, but that only relates to policies in your own name, not named drivers.

Named driver restrictions are now very common because it was in the past used as a loophole for young/new drivers to get cheap insurance on big cars via their parents.

In this case, Quinn policy is probably a refusal to add a named driver under 21 to a vehicle with an engine over 1.4L.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭dav32cs

Cheers for the replies

I was wondering did they change their system with the liberty mutual takeover because I never have been told of any 'license restrictions' getting quotes for myself when I was under 21 on a lot more powerful cars than this, going to head to a brokers and get a few quotes and see if Quinn change thier tune at all when I need to cancel if they have the same position =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

A lot of insurers won't insure someone with a provisional license on anything over a 1.6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

dav32cs wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies

I was wondering did they change their system with the liberty mutual takeover because I never have been told of any 'license restrictions' getting quotes for myself when I was under 21 on a lot more powerful cars than this, going to head to a brokers and get a few quotes and see if Quinn change thier tune at all when I need to cancel if they have the same position =)

Threats of cancellation do not make a blind bit of difference as its a card that customers try and play day in day out.

Every insurance company has underwriting criteria ie their own guidelines for insuring people.

Your girlfriend is outside of their criteria therefore they will not insure her on your car.Its standard practice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement