Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog sneezing more than normal !

Options
  • 09-02-2012 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭

Over the last nine months to a year, I have noticed that my dog takes fits of sneezing, with some coughing also. It can last for up to twenty seconds, but what bothers me more is how frequent these fits are. They generally happen when :

1. She gets exited i.e. when playing.

2. If she gets patted vigorously. Sometimes when I play with her, I'll rub my fingers along her back. She loves to get her back scratched, as all dogs do, but this seems to bring on the sneezing. Often she might be lying peacefully, and as soon as I gently rub her down, this can sometimes bring it on.

3. It may be my imagination, but the early morning seems to be the worst. Often, as soon as she gets out of her basket to go outside, the sneezing can start.

I have mentioned this to the vet on more than one occasion. He does not seem to think that there is anything seriously wrong. He suggested it may have to do with the small snout of the breed (ten year old Tibetan Terrier). If this was the case, then surely the problem would always have been there, and not just appeared comparatively recently, unless age is a factor. I once minded a Shih Tzu for a few weeks while a friend was on holidays, with no such problem. My dog is due for a check up soon, so I'll mention it again to the vet. If no solution is forthcoming, perhaps I'll seek a second opinion.

This is more of a nuisance, and does not seem to cause the dog any stress. Nonetheless, both dog and owner would be a lot happier if a solution to the problem could be found. ;)

Any opinions or advice are welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I think something similar was happening with mine, this is the post and answers, maybe something in there sounds familiar.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056507869?page=2#post_76565481

My dog has reverse sneezing and now she hasn't done it half as much, and when it happens, she comes over to me to stop it, sometimes even just sitting beside me relaxes her, I don't get to do anything, she calms down and it goes away itself.

I'm not 100% sure it's the same, maybe some other people in here think it's different.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

bfocusd wrote: »
    I think something similar was happening with mine, this is the post and answers, maybe something in there sounds familiar.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056507869?page=2#post_76565481

My dog has reverse sneezing and now she hasn't done it half as much, and when it happens, she comes over to me to stop it, sometimes even just sitting beside me relaxes her, I don't get to do anything, she calms down and it goes away itself.

I'm not 100% sure it's the same, maybe some other people in here think it's different.

Thanks for that. I'll have a browse through that link. Now that you mention it, the vet did refer to reverse sneezing. It could possibly be this, bit seems like "normal" sneezing to me. Typically, when my dog was on the vet's table, try as I might to bring on the sneezing for him to witness.....nothing. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Rani sneezes when she gets excited. I don't know exactly what causes it, but it's never seemed to do any harm, although she occasionally headbutts the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Dunno if its any help but my terrier tends to sneeze when she gets annoyed or when I wont let her do something. Its like shes venting her rage in snot form. She also does it when looking for attention so that could be part of your issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'd be concerned about the coughing too, has your vet listened to her heart?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Zapperzy wrote: »
    has your vet listened to her heart?

Yes. At the last check up, he did so and found nothing unusual.

Advertisement