Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

two masters at same time parttime

Options
  • 08-02-2012 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm working fulltime in hse at the minute and looking at definitely doing one masters next year parttime. Its the masters in management at Smurfit. However there's another masters course that really interests me aswell at rcsi. It too is also parttime. Dates and everything are fine. Both are both over two years. I've no kids and no other responsibilities. Is it possible to perform well in both with obviously alot of hard work ? Anyone have any experience of doing two ?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

While I am not doing either of the Masters you are looking at, I am currently doing a part time Masters in Public Management in another college, while working full time. The Masters has been over 2 years. I have no kids, and no other responsibilities either, and to be honest, have no idea how I would have had time to do 2 Masters over the past 2 years.
    As it is I feel like all I do is get up, go to work, come home and study. My final year is just the thesis, but that itself takes up a LOT of time.
    Even though the course is part time, don't underestimate the amount of work that is involved in it. And if you are going to commit to a Masters, make sure you commit to it fully to ensure you do the best you can in it.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

cee_jay wrote: »
    While I am not doing either of the Masters you are looking at, I am currently doing a part time Masters in Public Management in another college, while working full time. The Masters has been over 2 years. I have no kids, and no other responsibilities either, and to be honest, have no idea how I would have had time to do 2 Masters over the past 2 years.
    As it is I feel like all I do is get up, go to work, come home and study. My final year is just the thesis, but that itself takes up a LOT of time.
    Even though the course is part time, don't underestimate the amount of work that is involved in it. And if you are going to commit to a Masters, make sure you commit to it fully to ensure you do the best you can in it.
    Best of luck with whatever you decide.

Agreed, did mine PT masters (In Engineering) while working and all I did is work and study it seems. Maybe start one first and evaluate after 6 months what you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭speeding

Thanks guys. Yeah it's crazy even contemplating doing 2 masters concurrently. I've definitely realized that. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on these two masters. I'm going to either do the masters in management in Smurfit or the masters in healthcare management in RCSi. anyone have any opinions on both courses. I work as a radiographer so i realise the one in RCSI is going to be a lot more focused in the healthcare field. Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭kob29

If I were you I'd go for the more general Smurfit one, I'd imagine you'd get a wider education, meet and study with a broader cross section of people and it would be more applicable if you wanted to change direction down the road.

And yea doing two simultaneously would most likely drain your will to live not to mention the expense.

Advertisement