Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird ID

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I tink this is a dunlin (in summer plumage) but maybe somebody could confirm
    dunlin.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a few other images that I want to confirm butI don't want to put them in the "some pics I took recently" thread as they are all two or more years old- should I lump them into this thread? I don't want to start multiple threads if one will do!

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

Summer Dunlin it is. Post the photos up here

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Cool! Ta
    Rock pipit I think:
    rockpipit.jpg
    and I'm fairly sure this is a juvenile wheatear, but the shape of the beak is so different- it got me thinking that birds in general must actually change mouth shape to adapt from receiving insets etc. from parents to becoming seed eaters? Hadn't really thought about it before
    wheatear.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

#1: A difficult angle, but I think it is a juvenile Meadow Pipit rather than Rock. The breast looks too unstreaked and the head too brown for Rock. The all dark beak is weird - maybe the bird was feeding in a muddy area?

#2: A juvenile Wheatear. Wheatears eat Insects throughout their lives. What you are seeing at the base of the beak is known as the gape, which is brightly coloured in most young birds to encourage adults to feed them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gape).

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

V_Moth wrote: »
    #1: A difficult angle, but I think it is a juvenile Meadow Pipit rather than Rock. The breast looks too unstreaked and the head too brown for Rock. The all dark beak is weird - maybe the bird was feeding in a muddy area?

#2: A juvenile Wheatear. Wheatears eat Insects throughout their lives. What you are seeing at the base of the beak is known as the gape, which is brightly coloured in most young birds to encourage adults to feed them (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gape).

Ah- yes, I see what you mean (having looked again at my ID books!)- it was on machair as well which I would presume is good meadow pipit habitat.

The wheatear looke odd to me because it looks adult from halfway down- the gape makes sense

thanks V moth

Advertisement