Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bounced cheque fee???

Options
  • 08-02-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi there.

Could someone please tell me what the charge is for a bounced cheque??

A customer of mine gave me a e150 cheque, I lodged it last week and it has now been sent back to me.... As far as I am aware, I am charged a fee, correct?? How much is this? Is it a flat fee or a percentage??

Many thanks in advance,

Masi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

What bank are you with?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masi

What bank are you with?

I am with Bank of Ireland (business) and the cheque was from a BoI account too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Expect it to be somewhere between €3 and €5 per cheque. This must be one of the most insidious fees the banks charge and if you need to lodge another cheque from the same person next week they'll lodge it, watch it bounce and charge you again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭pjmn

Expect it to be somewhere between €3 and €5 per cheque. This must be one of the most insidious fees the banks charge and if you need to lodge another cheque from the same person next week they'll lodge it, watch it bounce and charge you again.

Thanks for that. True, crazy fee since I have done nothing wrong!!!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you have a problem with a particular customer's cheques and they aren't a/c payee only then you have the option of going to their branch and request a cash payment. The branch can only say no and not charge you a fee.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Masi wrote: »
    Thanks for that. True, crazy fee since I have done nothing wrong!!!

I do not see what this has to do with right and wrong... You choose to accept the cheque and you choose to give it to the bank for collection, if you do not want to pay the fee then either stop accepting cheques or present them for payment yourself!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    I do not see what this has to do with right and wrong... You choose to accept the cheque and you choose to give it to the bank for collection, if you do not want to pay the fee then either stop accepting cheques or present them for payment yourself!

Thanks for your helpful comment.

I accepted the cheque on the understanding that the person had money in his account. If he did not have money in his account then this is his fault and he should be charged, not me as it was him who issued the cheque with that knowledge....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Masi wrote: »
    Thanks for your helpful comment.

I accepted the cheque on the understanding that the person had money in his account. If he did not have money in his account then this is his fault and he should be charged, not me as it was him who issued the cheque with that knowledge....

Then you should follow it up with him and see if he will reimburse you for the loss. But expecting your bank to carry the cost of a failed transaction between the two of you is unreasonable - they acted on your behalf not his.

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Then you should follow it up with him and see if he will reimburse you for the loss. But expecting your bank to carry the cost of a failed transaction between the two of you is unreasonable - they acted on your behalf not his.

There's nothing more petty than someone looking for an extra few euro because a cheque bounced.
    I never said that the bank should carry the cost, the person who issued the cheque should in the same way as someone who allows their account to go into overdraft pays a fee.

Advertisement