Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

now how do I get my qualification?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Please bear with me on my first post. Also hope I am in the right forum.

Basically I have been hung out to dry by my previous employer, I completed a hairdressing course in a college in Cork while also working part time in a salon, finishing this course I was to complete another year in the salon full time, I came to that agreement with my boss when I began to work full time for her after I finished college. A year passed and she told me she would qualify me even though I had no training in perming, as it wasn't frequent enough to train on.

Just before she had the certificate made up I was asked by a regular client of mine if I wanted to open up a hair salon located within a new hotel in the area, worried I would miss my chance I accepted straight away, not even considering the fact that she hadn't handed me my official certificate I gave my boss my notice (keeping in mind this all happened within 4/5 days). I worked the two weeks notice required of me and still presumed I would get my certificate. After the two weeks notice was up she asked me to bear with her to wait for my holiday pay as she was taking a week off work on the last week I worked there. I called back to the salon received my holiday pay in a small envelope, when I got home I opened it up (still thinking I would be waiting a little while longer for my certificate) and inside was my cash and a printed up letter stating:
    To whom it concerns,
    I (her name) state (my name) has completed all necessary training for a hairdressing qualification with the exception of perming.
    Signed and dated.
    This was now all I had to show for my previous 3 years work as a hairdresser, I continued to go ahead with opening the salon and have worked on my own here for the past 4 years, I have never had a reason to get the certificate but now I have decided to go to London to live and I have no proof I am a qualified hairdresser. I am beginning to worry that I might have to go and spend money and time on a refresher course.
    The obvious thing would be to go back to my old boss and demand what is rightfully mine as I also presume that certificate is somewhere but not filled out by her.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Larkenn

In your bosses defence she didn't do anything wrong. You haven't completed your training in perming. I'm not sure it is within your right to ask her to give you a certificate stating something that isn't true.

Maybe there is a short refresher course you could do in perming to get your full certificate.

Advertisement