Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recording a mix...How do I do it?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Just want to record a couple of sets I've put together. Could anyone give me a heads up on what sort of equipment I should be looking at. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Uhh . . what are you mixing on, standards decks and mixer or digitally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

you need a computer,
    a 3.5mm to phono wire (less then a fiver from most places like power city ect..),
    a copy of audacity (free software google it)
    your mixer will need either a booth out, master two or record out, if it has none of these your pretty screwed as recording with a mic will sound crap,

what mixer are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Depends on your set up but if your coming out of your mixer you can run directly into the audio in jack on your computer/laptop. Ideally you should pick up a cheap audio interface and use that to record your mixes. The sound quality can be dreadful running directly into a pc/laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

I have audio 8 dj, djm 800, cdj 1000s, and audacity, I have something wrong cause every time I record a mix it sounds awful, in fact it picks up the sound inside the room:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Dylanmc111 wrote: »
    I have audio 8 dj, djm 800, cdj 1000s, and audacity, I have something wrong cause every time I record a mix it sounds awful, in fact it picks up the sound inside the room:confused:

Sounds like Audacity is set to internal microphone, not line in. Check your audio preferences, and the Audacity preferences, and make sure it's set to line-up/input and not microphone.

• Advertisement

Sounds like Audacity is set to internal microphone, not line in. Check your audio preferences, and the Audacity preferences, and make sure it's set to line-up/input and not microphone.

Yeah that's what your doing wrong I recently recorded a mix using the mic as it switched itself to using the built in laptop mic by accident.

It's on the top bar of audacity switch the drop down menu to USB audio codec or it might be a little different on your laptop. But it'll be something simular.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭milltown

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/virtual-5-1-surround-usb-2-0-external-sound-card-22475

If you're using a computer to mix you're not going to get any cheaper than that. Spotted it while browsing DX last night. Even mentions in one of the reviews that it works with Traktor. Not sure I'd trust it for a gig but at that price I'll add one or two to my next DX order and try it out.

Hey again,

I've tried recording with Ableton now and Audacity and I'm having major problems with recording, I've tried messing around with preferances, but no joy:( I haven't a clue what the problem is, does anyone know if the Audio 8 is a stable sound card? or are they known to have problems?

Hey again,

I've tried recording with Ableton now and Audacity and I'm having major problems with recording, I've tried messing around with preferances, but no joy:( I haven't a clue what the problem is, does anyone know if the Audio 8 is a stable sound card? or are they known to have problems?

From your post above about picking up background sounds it sounds like your trying to record using the built in Microphone on the laptop. You need to switch the input on audacity to the usb sound card instead of the internal mic.

192894.jpg

The setting you need to change is in the red box in the image above. You need to click on the drop down menu and change it to the USB Audio 8 DJ.

Audacity will be taking in sound only from the Soundcard so you should get a clear sound with no background noise.

*I'm using Mac dunno which you have but i'd say Audacity isn't too different and the layout should be similar.

as u can see, I don't get the option of selecting my audio 8 in audacity:confused:

• Advertisement

as u can see, I don't get the option of selecting my audio 8 in audacity:confused:

I'm not too sure what the problem could be. I've a cheap Beringher Audio Interface and it works fine. Could be the Audio 8 that's the problem. I have a Beta version of Audacity as well try downloading that and see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lisa8786

i have a djm700 mixer and cdj 400s.

Advertisement