Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you survive living underground?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭

How do,
    Saw a house for sale the other day in England, amazing house even has a water slide from the bedroom to the downstairs swimming pool :eek:. Noticed it was all built underground, three floors I think. That appealed to me even more. Got me thinking of another place for sale in America, some disused missile silo also underground. Made me think that there's something really appealing to me about living underground (don't know why?).

My question is though, is it unhealthy to live like this? Will the lack of sun affect you (sometimes I can go 48 hrs without leaving the house)? Will your body clock be affected. I assume the house in England has adequate ventilation so I wouldn't worry about that. Is there anything else I've missed? I guess if a fire broke out you'd be goosed :pac:

http://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/details/property/429380/referrer/search/for-sale/Bowdon-Cheshire.html

http://www.missilebases.com/adironback

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Looks like the house in the UK has a large cyclinder down the middle for letting light in.

May I also add, what a savage idea to have a waterslide to a pool :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

probably the coolest house iv ever seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

OP I think you can describe yourself as a Troglodyte ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I'd go for it only there's no private cinema or servants' quarters. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'd go for it only there's no private cinema or servants' quarters. :pac:

I'd keep the servants overground like the peasants that they are :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My question is though, is it unhealthy to live like this?

You'd need to be careful of developing rickets if you were spending a lot of time without getting any sun exposure. A vitamin D3 supplement would sort that though. Lack of sunlight might also cause depression. Other than that....game on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I worked with engineers that would spend months in a cavernous engine room with plenty of artificial light but with little exposure to daylight during their stint. Healthy meals and a healthy alcohol intake seemed to keep them upright for years on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ask anyone who has worked long term on nuke subs,or the space programme.Some of those puppies stay submerged a full 365 days plus tours.So any problems ,[and then some] of enclosed space living should be pretty well coverd by sub crews.Think you can compensate the sunlight loss by UV lamps and vitamin D or ....?
    Some of the absolutely huge boomers[sub carrying ICBMS] like the Russians had ala the Kursk.Had their own gyms,saunas and swimming pools,and garden room for R&R as well.
    Your body will adjust to "ship time" or what passes for routine in the enclosed enviroment.
    All going to be pretty important if we ever get back into space.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement