Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet price/make

Options
  • 08-02-2012 1:32pm

So ive taken the plunge and decided to start on the long road to get a bike.

Ive decided to wait until after I've done the IBT to buy a bike but I am going to buy a helmet.

I dont want to skimp on it.
    my budget will be 400e .might push it to 450e.

After a quick look on ebay I see a brand in my budget area call SHOI,
    Can anybody comment on the build quality or reputation of shoi?

I'd like to try before I buy but is the much difference in sizing between brands?

Cheers
    Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

urbanledge wrote: »
    After a quick look on ebay I see a brand in my budget area call SHOI,
    Can anybody comment on the build quality or reputation of shoi?

I'd like to try before I buy but is the much difference in sizing between brands?

Cheers
    Dave

I presume you mean Shoei :) but yes, they are a good brand. I had a Shoei Raid as my first helmet, and I currently have the xr1000.

Motorcycle helmets from different manufacturers fit differently, and different models from the same brand can fit differently.

Personally I'd recommend trying them on in a shop as fit it very important. If it is in any way uncomfortable, or doesn't suit your shape skull/jaw then you will not like being on the bike.

Thanks Idleater,
    going to check out a few later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

Read up on how a helmet should fit, it's a common mistake to but a size too large for comfort and forget what it's really for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

i think the best bet is go somewhere with no intention of buying and try on a few different sizes and brands, then see if you can find one you like that fits your budget... as the fit is whats important...

Thanks for the advice,
    just tried on a few there on my lunch brake,
    tried the Shoei qwest and a few others.Think I'll go with the qwest.410e
    Got a bit of advice on fitting off the guy working in the place so I think Im medium.
    I'll try M and the L when I go to buy.Have to wait on a paycheck !

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Get whichever size feels just a little too tight when you try it on, as the padding with adjust to your head after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I'd go with a Shoei or Arai lid.
    Always used a Shoei myself.
    Try it on in the shop, don't buy unseen and certainly don't buy a second hand one.
    As for price, in the case of you coming off the bike it's the only thing between your head and the road ......

Enjoy the bike
    R

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭spankmaster2000

Just to add one thing that I learned from 3 different helmets so far;

Wind-noise / buffeting.

I wear ear-plugs most of the time anyway, but I had a Schuberth that was beautifully quiet and smooth, but looked like a giant fish-bowl on my head, whereas an otherwise excellent AGV was as noisy as you could get; it even whistled at relatively low speeds.

You can't tell everything in the shop from looking at it; so make sure you read reviews / ask opinions as well! (But definitely get out there and try some on!)

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

Originally I had an RST which i borrowed from a friend of mine when i first bought the bike. Then i went to a few shops and asked them could i pay for it there and then and have the helmet delivered, responses in all places were that i was inconveniencing them or that theyd be doing me a favour to call the delivery guy so i said sod that, tried the helmets in the shops, told them sod off and bought on fc-moto.de. Sharks800 for 107 notes delivered from Germany, happy out with it so far!

Wind-noise / buffeting is something i never even considered,
    The qwest seems to be getting excellent reviews all over.
    Its also cheaper in the place I tried it on than online.

Thanks for all the advice,
    Im sure I'll be looking for more over the next few months
    Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If you know the size you tried you get the list from Crossan motorcycles in Newry. It would work out to ~350e for the plain black one.

edit: ~370 for an Xr-1100. Bought a pair of these recently from them.

http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_NEW_SHOEI_QWEST_Helmet_Avaiable_September.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭bladespin

urbanledge wrote: »
    Wind-noise / buffeting is something i never even considered,
    The qwest seems to be getting excellent reviews all over.
    Its also cheaper in the place I tried it on than online.

Thanks for all the advice,
    Im sure I'll be looking for more over the next few months
    Dave

Pay no attention to how quiet a lid is, it means nothing, you should always wear earplugs when out on the bike, it's the high frequency noise (that you can't hear anyway) that does the lasting damage.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Have a look on here mate you might save a few pennies to put towards your IBT :)

Cheers,
    Believe it or not I can get the one I want cheaper in Cottors by a tenner!
    Booked in for my IBT Saturday week.450 quid,I was expecting to pay 600.

Cant wait to get it out of the way so I can start seriously thinking about what bike to buy!

Happy days :D I'm lookin at gettin one of the shark helmets on there might try that cotters place, all depends on fit I've a big ceann :D so might have to go with Arai they're a big fit.

Where'd you get the IBT for €450 is that with your own bike? cheapest I could find was €520 :eek:

If you can do the assessment as well apparently it makes a big difference on insurance quotes. I'll have to arrange mine now might try find a partner and get a discount.

Doing it with this crowd
    http://www.passyourdrivingtest.ie/

Thats including the bike and all!I think its a special offer.

Gonna try this crowd cheapest I've found and they arrange bookings so they can pair you up making it cheaper :) Just booked the theory test It's gas my proof of id will be my full licence which I've had for 10 years. Thought I might have gotten away with it because I had a prov bike licence before but apparently because I let it lapse it's no longer valid typical. oh well better gettin reading forgotten half the rules at this stage :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I've had quite a few different types of helmets. The last few were:

Caberg Justissimo - Liked it at the time but had nothing to compare it to. I've since realised that it's heavier and noisier than a lot of other helmets. Others have said that theirs let rain in too but I never had that problem.

Shoei Multitec - Love this helmet, still have it as a spare. It's great for a flip up IMO. Has the pin lock and it's the best gadget ever invented for a helmet, it stops the visor from fogging up.

Shark vision R - Full face helmet and probably the best of all I've had. The extra vision really does make a difference, it's light and the wind/noise is minimal. Got it at a really good price from RPM Drogheda. It also had a drop down tinted visor that I hope to use one day if I ever see sunshine :D

Advertisement