Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career Advice - Post Grad Comp Science/IT

Options
  • 08-02-2012 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I am in the final year of my current BsC which is construction/property related; obviously employment options will be dire in Ireland for this.

I have been considering computer science as a postgraduate option for a while now. Ive always had an interest in tech and would be great to learn how all the software works.

Im looking at computer science/IT conversion courses in UCD(msc), DCU (post grad in IT), NUI Maynooth (Hdip IT) etc....

Now... Ive to write a personal statement...

Just looking to hear some feedback from people in the industry about what its like to be a software developer of one kind or another..

1. Typical Day.. 9 - 5.. or more like 8 - 6?? (im not afraid of long hours.. well used to that having worked in construction..5am to 11pm sometimes)
    2. Level of Maths (I only did ordinary maths in the leaving, but got a good grade in that....but there was some mathematics modules in my current degree)
    3. Job prospects
    Im also looking for recommendations for:

1. Books that may give me an idea what id be in for
    2. Courses run over the summer that would give me a basic introduction to one or more languages (this would help get me off to a good start in the postgrad)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

My experience would be as follows:

Typical day: 9-5 with occasional blips. You end up working longer hours when there is a critical issue to resolve, or a release to push out, or possibly a client site that needs attention but not while they're working.

Level of Math: it should be fair. I would say it is far more important to have a high level of logic and to be able to apply yourself. I think it is like a horse rider being a good vet. It might help, but it is far more important to know how to ride horses.

Job Prospects: appear to be good at the moment. There is also a great variety of directions you can take and industries to work in. Mobile phone dev, banking, insurance, any client server apps, web apps.

Books: sorry, don't have any good suggestions.

Courses: you can download Java for free, along with an editor. There are many free intro courses for Java on the net. Go through a few of them and then look around for a formal course.

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭thegift06

I am in the final year of my current BsC which is construction/property related; obviously employment options will be dire in Ireland for this.

I have been considering computer science as a postgraduate option for a while now. Ive always had an interest in tech and would be great to learn how all the software works.

Im looking at computer science/IT conversion courses in UCD(msc), DCU (post grad in IT), NUI Maynooth (Hdip IT) etc....

Now... Ive to write a personal statement...

Just looking to hear some feedback from people in the industry about what its like to be a software developer of one kind or another..

1. Typical Day.. 9 - 5.. or more like 8 - 6?? (im not afraid of long hours.. well used to that having worked in construction..5am to 11pm sometimes)
    2. Level of Maths (I only did ordinary maths in the leaving, but got a good grade in that....but there was some mathematics modules in my current degree)
    3. Job prospects
    Im also looking for recommendations for:

1. Books that may give me an idea what id be in for
    2. Courses run over the summer that would give me a basic introduction to one or more languages (this would help get me off to a good start in the postgrad)

PM sent

Advertisement