Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving license return?

Options
  • 08-02-2012 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all.. can anyone tell me how long it takes for the motor tax office to return your driving license..i posted mine to them yesterday for an exchange. (english to irish) and im wondering how long before i get it back.
    I want to apply for a theory test to proceed forward for an EB License!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Hi all.. can anyone tell me how long it takes for the motor tax office to return your driving license..i posted mine to them yesterday for an exchange. (english to irish) and im wondering how long before i get it back.
    I want to apply for a theory test to proceed forward for an EB License!

Last year I left my licence with them to change address, and I was waiting for about 9 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I think it will vary from one local authority to another.

I know when getting an expired licence updated, I've heard that some local authorites can do it in a few days but some take up to 6 weeks.

I was very lucky last year - my licence had expired, and I had to travel to the US 2 days after I'd noticed. When I called in to my local council (Galway) and explained that I had to hire a car in the US, they were brilliant and issued my new licence there and then.

Your best be is to call them, or better, call into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cinamonscent

CiniO wrote: »
    Last year I left my licence with them to change address, and I was waiting for about 9 weeks.

I photocopied it before i posted it off.. what would the theory test need it for? if i have the barcode etc off it..surely that sufficient enough is it? would u know?
    9 weeks is a disgrace(: knowing my luck the guards will pull me

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I photocopied it before i posted it off.. what would the theory test need it for? if i have the barcode etc off it..surely that sufficient enough is it? would u know?
    Photocopy won't be good enough, you'll need original documents.

However you don't need to show a licence for the EB theory test, so a passport or such will do just fine.

Last time I posted off to get a licence in Dublin it came back within two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

Hmm... when I dropping mine in for a new Category, it was posted out the next day! This was in Dublin.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    Photocopy won't be good enough, you'll need original documents.

However you don't need to show a licence for the EB theory test, so a passport or such will do just fine.

Last time I posted off to get a licence in Dublin it came back within two weeks.

Are you saying that the EB theory test (test itself) is different to the car theory test (questions etc)?
    Which box do i tick online when im applying for the test.. ?
    Im in Kerry, find the coucil very quick when they want ur money,so not so good when u need them(:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Are you saying that the EB theory test (test itself) is different to the car theory test (questions etc)?
    No, it's the same test - BW I think it's called. Been a long time since I even looked at theory tests.

seamus wrote: »
    No, it's the same test - BW I think it's called. Been a long time since I even looked at theory tests.

haha try 17years ago for me. even if i am only 34 its still ages ago...gona get the book .. thanks..

just an update for anyone.. my license was returned today by the council, three or four days after posting it.
    they were looking for the counter part paperwork that originally came with my license, which i had thank god r else it was a visit to the garda station to get paperwork signed that they enclosed..

so now just gota send it all off again..we see how long before it comes back again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Accidentally washed my husband's DP on the morning of his test!:eek::eek:

Mad rush round to the Gards to get his form signed, then down to the licensing office in Cork to get new permit issued. They did it on the spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement