Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should there be one sticky thread for missing persons?

Options
  • 07-02-2012 7:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭

Should there be one sticky thread on boards where people can post missing persons?
    1 yes
    2 no

should there be a sticky for missing persons on boards 31 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    100% 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

3 Add Poll

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

No. The thread would just become part of the background and get forgotten about. New missing persons wouldn't get the exposure they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No. Most people ignore sticky threads unless they've a particular interest in it. Individual threads are better for stuff. Also, a single sticky would end up bogged down with loads of mixed comments through the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No. Most people ignore sticky threads unless they've a particular interest in it. Individual threads are better for stuff. Also, a single sticky would end up bogged down with loads of mixed comments through the thread.

Yes it would be a mess, details getting mixed up, people getting mixed up, and in the end no-one would know what the hell was going on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...a single sticky would end up bogged down with loads of mixed comments through the thread.

Comments could be disabled.
    Anyone that wishes to add to the thread could PM a mod first with info/pic of missing person - who will then insert whats possible and appropriate to do so at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I've never read a sticky.

Just scroll on by.

Edit: Wow, I just noticed the sticky on the missing guy, if not for this thread i wouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

No.

Everyone is an individual and deserves their own exposure. We are a community and work as such, offering each other support in times of need. We may not post pages and pages of stuff but just look at the views the latest missing persons threads have? Any one that can offer help, does.

We are all hoping for a positive conclusion, a happy ending, a "just taking a time out lads, sorry about that" we dont clog the thread up with it though, our views say it all i think.

Stickys are da poop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Seachmall wrote: »
    No. The thread would just become part of the background and get forgotten about. New missing persons wouldn't get the exposure they need.
    This.
    We rarely (if ever?) have had more than one missing person sticky thread at a time so it's not as if this would actually solve the nonexisting congestion of stickies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

mikemac1 wrote: »
    nobody reads sticky threads

I do think regional forums are the first place to post these threads. Or college if applicable.
    Then After Hours

If I had somebody belonging to me missing I would want the most immediate, widest exposure of the details and on boards that has to be AH (and the weather forum) and not individual local regional forums or the college forums.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Comments could be disabled.
    Anyone that wishes to add to the thread could PM a mod first with info/pic of missing person - who will then insert whats possible and appropriate to do so at the time.
    If it was like that it would never appear in the recent posts on the front page and even less people would look at it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If it was like that it would never appear in the recent posts on the front page and even less people would look at it.

Would it not be stickied as one of the first top posts as the OP suggested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Why not a forum dedicated to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I don't think a stickied thread is a bad idea per se, but individual threads help towards highlighting new cases, such as the current Paul Bunbury one, please God it will help.

I think Sindri's suggestion for a dedicated forum isn't a bad idea.

Biggins wrote: »
    Would it not be stickied as one of the first top posts as the OP suggested?
    To clarify, I mean that one of the things likely to get people to look at the thread is it appearing in latest posts on the homepage. I only specifically visit a very small number of sub-forums most of which wouldn't have those kind of threads. For example I'm only posting here because this caught my eye on the homepage.

Also, as I already pointed out I, and a lot of other Boards users, just ignore stickies unless we deliberately go looking. It's literally as if "Sticky: " makes a thread invisible. I'll scroll down past them as if they don't exist.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2056540265

If there is one thread or forum for missing persons then the link to that one thread or forum can come up on the home page and it would certainly attract attention.
    It also would show the amount of people and this will make for even more awareness.
    I noticed that on the official Garda page only 5 missing children were reported in the last year? What about all the other children, can they be reported here on boards?

btw has anyone seen Chris?

Seem to have hit a socially do not disturb nerve there. No more discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Anita M. wrote: »
    Seem to have hit a socially do not disturb nerve there. No more discussion?

Poll allows people to answer, it's fairly all-encompassing.

If you want to change the discussion (about why missing kids aren't being looked into) you're best off starting a new thread.

It's also possible those kids have been abducted by Boards to work as slave-labour moderating the site and people are afraid to respond.

• Advertisement

Missing kids is part of missing persons discussion?
    It is not wise to call the mods on boards children, lol.
    It is a pity that the missing people cannot vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Missing persons would have to be verified first otherwise anyone could post up anything that they want on it.

There's a thread already closed in the Dublin city forum because there's no way to actually tell if it's real or not.

People in general do not joke about it. It is a serious matter and common sence still seems to prevail in most people, or are you suggesting otherwise.
    Besides that boards is one of the few places where people could post. If you want to verify your so called no way to actually tell if it's real thread just go to Dame street and ask gardai in Chancery street (nearest to where he lived) why they did not take the case on. Easy to verify for yourself. It is a real missing person and real concerned people are left behind with no answers. Hope he will be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People in general do not joke about it. It is a serious matter and common sence still seems to prevail in most people, or are you suggesting otherwise.
    Besides that boards is one of the few places where people could post. If you want to verify your so called no way to actually tell if it's real thread just go to Dame street and ask gardai in Chancery street (nearest to where he lived) why they did not take the case on. Easy to verify for yourself. It is a real missing person and real concerned people are left behind with no answers. Hope he will be found.
    I am just repeating what has already been stated on that thread by the mods. I have no interest or desire to verify anything and was using that thread as an example in the wider discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

btw has anyone seen Chris?

Who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Yes but in the Emergency Service forum which is frequented by members of the Gardai and PSNI.

The sticky thread would have to be taken very serious and be heavily moderated with those acting the boll*x having their IP tracked and subsiquently getting a permanent ban from Boads.ie and prosecution if it involved false alarm cases etc that would waste Gardai and other emergency services time.

Advertisement