Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soft touch Keyboard for rsi/joint problems

Options
  • 07-02-2012 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭

My fingers and hands in general are suffering from using keyboards and mice for years. I've been toying around with the xbox controller instead of a mouse for windows navigation using some third party software.

One thing that really struck me about the xbox controller was how light some of the buttons were to touch - little or no pressure on my finger joints.

I could do with a keyboard that felt the same way but after a little googling not finding anything that I can be sure fits the bill - so any recommendations would be great

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

You can get "Slim Keyboards" (I think are the type) which use the same kind of soft keys as laptop ones. I'd say you'd get one on ebay or somewhere like that

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭luckylucky

I spotted this one on amazon - looks like it might fit the bill and not too pricey at £15. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Slim-Keyboard-Windows-Vista/dp/B0046L9KUA/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭djrichard

You could get a keyboard which only requires you to touch the area, without having to exert any pressure to depress the keys. There is a rather expensive one in development at the moment, which just happens to look awesome! It will be similar to using a virtual keyboard on a smartphone or tablet Id imagine.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Gorilla-Glass-Keyboard-CES-Touch,14518.html

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Teagwee

I got this one from Amazon due to lack of space on my desktop and the keys are very like those on a laptop - easy to press.

I have a touch of RSI myself and although this wasn't the reason I bought it, keeping the breadth of my hand movements minimised does seem to help. I love how compact and light it is ... and cheap - always a consideration :)

Just a thought, I also have an attachment that extends out from my desktop shaped like the sole of a large shoe (Ebay) that I rest my right arm on - this really saves my shoulder, which gives me terrible gyp when I'm 'mousing' around for too long. Maybe that would help also?

Advertisement