Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Multi-car Insurance

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

We're supposed to pick up a new car today but we have to hold onto our old one for a few weeks. Our old car is being sold to a friend but not until it passes the NCT which is a few weeks away.

Just rang our current insurer (The AA) and they won't cover both cars. Is there any insurer that will cover the two cars on one policy rather than having to fork out for two separate policies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Most insurance companies will do this as a short-term thing. I'd try the AA again, just to make sure you didn't get unlucky with the person you spoke to.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Anan1 wrote: »
    Most insurance companies will do this as a short-term thing.

Cover both cars at the same time??
    I never heard about any insurer doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 dwsl280

You can arrange with most insurance companies a period of time to switch your insurance policy between cars, so on the day of the NCT you switch your cover from 9am till 4pm and the policy automatically switches. I have done this a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

dwsl280 wrote: »
    You can arrange with most insurance companies a period of time to switch your insurance policy between cars, so on the day of the NCT you switch your cover from 9am till 4pm and the policy automatically switches. I have done this a few times.

Unfortunately this is no good as we don't want to leave the car in the drive uninsured for a few weeks.

SachaJ wrote: »
    Unfortunately this is no good as we don't want to leave the car in the drive uninsured for a few weeks.

If you are only worried about theft, then you most likely will only have a choice between obtaining another insurance, or finding some secure place to store your car.

However you might do a trick, buy a new insurance policy for the car, and then cancel it within 14 days. Maybe then do the same with other insurance company...
    That already gives you 28 days cover for little price.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    finding some secure place to store your car.

Was half thinking of parking the car in the driveway and taking the wheels off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

No company will insure 2 cars under the one policy, I have already been down that route, the best you can do is with some companies they will mirror you NCB . You could just hold off on picking up the car, stating your case to the dealer. He might be able to help with the NCT, he may have a slot available to have it done earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Was half thinking of parking the car in the driveway and taking the wheels off.....

Could the garage not hold onto it for you for a few weeks? You could tell them that something has come up and won't be able to collect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

depends on who underwriting your car certs for AA to get this to work

It is possible with some companies to have tempoorary addition cars on one policy(at a fee off course-due to posibility that both cars crash)

The fee depends on types of cars you need cover, corolla, golf etc.. and normally cant be applied if learner drivers on cover on main car- risk reasons.

PM me if your stuck..

Cheers lads. In the end she got a new policy for our current car. This will be cancelled if and when the car is sold. Then transferred our current policy onto the new car.

It'll cover our arses and hopefully we'll get most back when the policy is cancelled.

• Advertisement

Cheers lads. In the end she got a new policy for our current car. This will be cancelled if and when the car is sold. Then transferred our current policy onto the new car.

It'll cover our arses and hopefully we'll get most back when the policy is cancelled.

Check term and conditions of the new policy, as most policies have very rip-off cancellation rules.
    F.E. if you cancel policy after one months, you might need to pay a quarter of yearly premium or even more.

Only exception is if you cancel policy within 14 days. Then they can only charge a percentage from this 14 days of the yearly policy + little admin fee.

If you need it say for 4 weeks, I'm sure it will come cheaper to get policy for 14 days, cancel it, and get another policy with other insurer for another 14 days and cancelling it, then actually taking one policy and canelling it after the month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Gryphoncr

If it is your friend who is buying it, can you just get them to put cover on it immediately or sell it to them now on the understanding that you will stand over its passing the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭lotusm

Hi ,,, thinking of buying an oldish roadster for the summer maybe an mx5, can one get car insurance for 3 months . I already have an excisting car and it would be used only at the weekends.. any advice would be appreciated

Advertisement