Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Severe pain after extraction

Options
  • 07-02-2012 3:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I just want to ask for some input here before I pay money that I don't really have to go see a dentist.

I had 2 teeth (lower premolars) extracted on Friday as part of my orthodontic treatment. The left side is perfect and is healing fine, no problems at all. But the right one is seriously painful and has been for the past 2 days.

I don't know whether there is something wrong with it or is it because of the pressure my braces are putting on it. As I said I can feel no pain at all on the left side so that's why I am worried about it. The pain is really, really bad! And my pain threshold is usually quite high. Pain killers don't seem to do anything. I can't see my usual dentist who extracted the teeth for me as I am in a different city during the week for college. So will have to go to a different dentist. But I want to know should it still be so painful? I followed all the after care advice properly and really hope it isn't dry socket :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Went to the dentist anyway and it is a dry socket. She put some kinda paste on it and a dressing and I have to go back tomorrow to get it redone. Still very very painful. And even more so because of the pressure of my braces on top of that. Ow!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

2 days in a row to dress a dry socket?? what ever happened to alvogyl?
    you're very unlucky with it, but it's more likely in female over male, lower over upper, but rare enough in premolar sites after a straightforward extraction.

still don't get why you're being brought in 2 days in a row. that's a new one on me. anyone else do it? ledermix on a pleget?

I'm pretty sure it is alvogyl. That's what I heard her ask to nurse to get! No idea why I have to go in again. That's what she said to me anyway :confused:

Very surprised it happened too. The tooth came out no problem, very straightforward! I had my lower wisdom teeth extracted a few years ago, which were much more difficult than this one, and they were grand (to an extent!). Just unlucky I guess.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Sorry Lia, has been a busy day around here.
    I've never had an extraction myself but the OH has had a few for orthodontic treatment and she got dry socket in the two bottom extractions and i can tell you it was not fun for her.. or me :D

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it is alvogyl. That's what I heard her ask to nurse to get! No idea why I have to go in again. That's what she said to me anyway :confused:

Very surprised it happened too. The tooth came out no problem, very straightforward! I had my lower wisdom teeth extracted a few years ago, which were much more difficult than this one, and they were grand (to an extent!). Just unlucky I guess.

usually the best way alvogyl works is to put it in, and leave it alone. the pain should ease very soon after it's put in though. hopefully by now it's a lot more comfortable anyway.

• Advertisement

Went back to the dentist today (didn't make it yesterday due to college) and she said I need to get the alvogyl dressing changed everyday for a few days :eek: It fell out this morning anyway and I got it changed. Still very painful. Got prescribed painkillers, still not great! Yikes.

Went back to the dentist today (didn't make it yesterday due to college) and she said I need to get the alvogyl dressing changed everyday for a few days :eek: It fell out this morning anyway and I got it changed. Still very painful. Got prescribed painkillers, still not great! Yikes.

i'm calling shenanigans on what you're being told, sorry, but it's just wrong. alvogyl is meant to be put in once and not disturbed at all so that the wound can heal. the worst thing that you can do with a wound is poke it and tool about with it.
    well packed alvogyl in a lower premolar wound shouldn't be falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

i'm calling shenanigans on what you're being told, sorry, but it's just wrong. alvogyl is meant to be put in once and not disturbed at all so that the wound can heal. the worst thing that you can do with a wound is poke it and tool about with it.
    well packed alvogyl in a lower premolar wound shouldn't be falling out.

I'd agree, on occasion I have had to replace alvogel after a number of days but I would not plan on doing it....
    Dry socket (not infection) is ultimately self limiting and will heal on it's own if kept clean.
    It's sore, alvogel and systemic pain killers reduce this pain but it needs to run it's course- i don't think multiple pack changes will help you heal quicker...

That's what I gathered from reading up on it. It just seems to me like repacking it would kinda start the process again, no? I won't be seeing that dentist again anyway because I am back at home now for the weekend. I've an orthodontist appointment anyway tomorrow so I can ask for his opinion on it. Thanks for the input, lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,240 ✭✭✭Oral Surgeon

That's what I gathered from reading up on it. It just seems to me like repacking it would kinda start the process again, no? I won't be seeing that dentist again anyway because I am back at home now for the weekend. I've an orthodontist appointment anyway tomorrow so I can ask for his opinion on it. Thanks for the input, lads!

Ask away but I'd say your orthodontist last saw or treated a dry socket over 10 years ago depending....;);)

• Advertisement

^ No harm in asking anyway. And he's actually a young enough fella! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Dry sockets are a real bummer when they happen, however they do run a very predictable 10 day course. They are not an infection so antibiotics don't do anything except make you ill. There is a dressing the dentist can do which will make you feel better.

Advertisement