Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

server error

Options
  • 07-02-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

First sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place,
    I'm with UPC but my email address is with eircom I'm running a Macbook pro
    I'm having no problems receiving emails but just can't send them I'v tried ringing UPC but they say its not their problem, the error message I get while trying to send is" the sender email address ****@eircom was rejected by the server upc
    any idea on how to sort this
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

next wrote: »
    First sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place,
    I'm with UPC but my email address is with eircom I'm running a Macbook pro
    I'm having no problems receiving emails but just can't send them I'v tried ringing UPC but they say its not their problem, the error message I get while trying to send is" the sender email address ****@eircom was rejected by the server upc
    any idea on how to sort this
    Thanks

There can be a spelling error !? The full email address looks like ****@eircom.net !!
    Can you send email to any other people ,on or non with eircom domain !?
    Can you post or write your smtp settings from your email client !? Also,is there any smtp authentication ? Is it port 25 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭next

this is the error message" the sender address ***@eircom.net was rejected by the server smtp.upcmail.ie.

Select a different outgoing mail server from the list below or click Try Later to leave the message in your Outbox until it can be sent."ow do I find the smpt settings ?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

Unless something has changed recently Eircoms SMTP servers won't take mail from a network other then their own. You can connect to receive mails but sending isn't going to happen.

This is stupid but it's been like that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Change your outgoing mail server from mail2.eircom.net to smtp.upcmail.ie and your eircom mail will then get out via UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Sputnik wrote: »

This is stupid but it's been like that for years.

It's like that to prevent spammers from using some other ISP's mail server so not stupid at all

• Advertisement

spent an hour on the ph with upc and got nowhere :(

Have you got a gmail account?

You can import mail with it.

sorry...i don't get it !!!!

you have a personal email account with Eircom.
    you try to send an email message to blah@eircom.net
    the moment you click send,Outlook ( ??? ) tells you that UPC server is not allowing you to send that message !?

can you go in DOS and do these three independent commands:

ping smtp.upcmail.ie
    tracert smtp.upcmail.ie
    tracert mail1.eircom.net

you'll get big lines/numbers ,copy & paste it here.You can remove your internal ID.

Also...
    1.Can you try sending a mail to some other account(s),did you get same error ?
    2.By any chance...do you have SMTP authentication enabled on your SMTP server settings tab !????

ok I'll start again,
    my service is with UPC,
    MY email address is an eircom.net I never changed my email to UPC
    I can receive email to my Mac from everyone but using my email *** @ EIRCOM.NET nothing will send not even a test to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭markpb

ok I'll start again,
    my service is with UPC,
    MY email address is and eircom.net I never changed my email to UPC
    I can receive email to my Mac from everyone but using my email *** @ EIRCOM.NET nothing will send not even a test to myself

Your internet connection is through UPC so you must use their outgoing mail server, not the Eircom one. You connect to the Eircom mail server to receive email but UPC to send email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

You just need to change your outgoing email server to use UPC's
    I think it's smtp.upcmail.ie
    Should do it for you

my incoming mail addy is webmail.eircom.net
    my outgoing mail addy is smpt.upcmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

There might be a problem there...
    smtp.upcmail.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

should be smtp, not smpt. and should also be smtp.upcmail.ie for the local Irish UPC mail server, not .com

sorry vibe666 that was just a typing error on my part

...and... !? ;)

and ? and i'v lost of hope of fixing this ! AUGHHH !

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Sputnik

It's like that to prevent spammers from using some other ISP's mail server so not stupid at all

Yes it is stupid. It's 2012 and they haven't figured out a proper method for authenticating outgoing users. These days half the population is wandering around with devices which are unlikely to be connected to their home service at any given point. Cutting your users off from your services for having the audacity to use someones elses network is not a solution anymore.

Sputnik wrote: »
    Yes it is stupid. It's 2012 and they haven't figured out a proper method for authenticating outgoing users. These days half the population is wandering around with devices which are unlikely to be connected to their home service at any given point. Cutting your users off from your services for having the audacity is not a solution anymore.

Is 2012 and 95% of daily emails for a normal user are...spam !!!
    I don't give e cent how ISP blocks that,just give me less spam ! :)

SMTP authentication works fine for remote/mobile users if they need to use 'home SMTP service' or don't know the local ISP smtp settings !

and ? and i'v lost of hope of fixing this ! AUGHHH !

have you done the DOS' TCP/IP commands !??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭stuff.hunter

same problem here :( did you fix yours

Advertisement