Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Borderline Personality Disorder

Options
  • 07-02-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know if there is a borderline personality disorder support group in the south east?

I was diagnosed last year and although my life is now on track and everything is the way it should be, some times there are set-backs and, well... it gets a lil lonely sometimes not having someone in a similar situation to talk to about it (who isn't a counselor!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 choosinganame

I'll be looking for one in the West soon! Was recently diagnosed. It's a relief to hear your doing well .. for me it seems like a one way ticket to HELL at the moment! There's always hope I guess.

Good luck finding one.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I'm very late posting a reply to this as I didn't see it until today.

Mental Health Ireland - http://www.mentalhealthireland.ie/links-mainmenu-23/103-borderline-personality-disorder.html - has links to various support organisations inluding BPD Ireland.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I know someone who has this. One of the hospitals in Cork have something as far as I know. Also St.John of God's so a dbt programme but you must live in the catchment area and there's around a year waiting list. A hospital in north Dublin (can't think of its name but you could google it) are also doing a programme. Think the Cork programme is meant to be the best and you don't have to reside in the area. I think it might be through the Mercy hospital in Cork.
    Dbt programmes are few and far between in this country but cognitive behavioural therapy is meant to be good in the interim. The person I know who has this has greatly improved but it took time. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

when diagnosed with this condition go easy. there are certain issues with it that are well documented.
    good therapy is vital and committment to your own self also important.
    BPD is a vague diagnosis and therefore need to be taken with a pinch of salt. many young people may go array for many reasons and may not have any 'disorder' other than confused and young. many may have been abused, been in a dysfunctional home setting. suffer from intimidation from peers or competition from peers. many others may have Asperger Syndrome, and if so the way to easing the hell of confusion is entirely different to BPD. Judith Herman also has a good 'take' on this.
    many medics internationally do not recognise this diagnosis as actually being viable as one.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

when diagnosed with this condition go easy. there are certain issues with it that are well documented.
    good therapy is vital and committment to your own self also important.
    BPD is a vague diagnosis and therefore need to be taken with a pinch of salt. many young people may go array for many reasons and may not have any 'disorder' other than confused and young. many may have been abused, been in a dysfunctional home setting. suffer from intimidation from peers or competition from peers. many others may have Asperger Syndrome, and if so the way to easing the hell of confusion is entirely different to BPD. Judith Herman also has a good 'take' on this.
    many medics internationally do not recognise this diagnosis as actually being viable as one.
    if someone had a autistic spectrum disorder they coud not be diagnosed as having borderline PD because they are both opposites that conflict with each other [its written against in the DSM],plus all forms of autism have very different age of onsets even compared to early recognised borderline PD,ASDs are also very different experiences to BPD.

from own view,there isnt anything wrong with people believing in their BPD diagnosis if it helps their needs such as getting them help [well it does over here anyway] that,understanding and accomodation are the only reason labels are good for really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭treecreeper

labels are dreadful, we are all humans and i have to say having the diagnosis of BPD does people no favours at all.
    no one deserves labels of any kind and some are hated and this one will be too, in time.

labels are dreadful, we are all humans and i have to say having the diagnosis of BPD does people no favours at all.
    no one deserves labels of any kind and some are hated and this one will be too, in time.

are you serious though? it is the only thing that has helped me slightly in the past year and a half if HELL that i've been through no exaggeration.. so you can't generalise and say "does PEOPLE no favours at all" i started medication associated with helping BPD patients and for the first time in MONTHS i've fallen asleep before 5am. reading through bpd forums i finally feel understood and want to work through my issues, i've had a pretty hard life up until now and as i said no my life is nowhere near perfect but the diagnosis is the first step for me.. just annoys me when people try and tale away validation from people have suffered horrible not NORMAL childhoods or whatever, okay i don't think i'm articulating my opinion perfectly but hopefully you get my drift. its hard because you struggle to fit in and then when you finally get some validation people jump to take it away.

and when i said its like a 1 way ticket to hell i meant having** BPD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 singlewing

Also St.John of God's so a dbt programme but you must live in the catchment area and there's around a year waiting list.

I got in in a matter of weeks - waiting list is minimal compared to others. they do group support with people of the same age, have yet to start dbt.

Anyone out there wanting to talk about BPD pm me, eager to widen the scary circle, easier when you're not on your own xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2 redcarnation

Hi my daughter has been diagnosed with emerging BDP . We are desperate to find DBT therapy for her. Have you done this therapy? and do you know if it is provided for teenagers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

Hey guys, I know this forum is really old, but i've just joined!

I was diagnosed with BPD last year, im 21 now. I'm being trained with a mix of stuff, DBT, Mindfulness, etc, and its really helped.
    However, if I had been given these tools even a year ago, I wouldn't have taken any heed!!!
    I needed to mature first before finally sitting up and listening and doing something about this illness, instead of crying and bitching at people to do it for me! Its so true what they say, no one can help you but yourself!

anyway, I know in UHG theyre starting up a group soon enough for BPD...........other to that, go to bpdireland! its a brilliant site, its helped me so much the last few months. i finally have somewhere to go to talk to people who understand, and who wont freak out at the words depressed, suicidal, self harm, whatever! keep the chins up guys! things do get better! xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭timmybob13

Hey guys, I seen there were no current BPD forums, so I decided to start a new one.

Just scribble down anything you want, .......and support whoever posts before you.

Thats the best way to do this I'd say! :)

Life does get better too yano.......... Last year when I finally got diagnosed, I was abusing drink, in an abusive relationship, abusing prescription meds like sleeping tablets, tried to end my life.......abuse on myself really! Now i'm a lot better, I dont drink anymore (not even at my 21st!) I'm happily single, not touching so much as a panadol! and sure I've been suicidal, but i've switched things around........I'm finally making reasons to live! Im living now, where before I was just existing.

So just jot down how you feel, good or bad....... just get it off your chest guys xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭margarite

sam34 wrote: »
    threads merged
    How do I get onto the next page pse help?

Advertisement