Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disparity in Trade In Value

Options
  • 07-02-2012 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I am currently thinking about trading in my 2009 bike against a new one (I don't want to be more specific so as to avoid offending any of the dealers I have been in touch with). I have been offered a trade in value of 5000 against one bike (same brand as my current one) and 4200 against a bike from a different manufacturer (I have a preference for this one). Is this difference justified by the fact that the guy offering 4200 will be passing my trade-in onto another shop. I talked to an independent dealer and he indicated he would be offering somewhere between 4500 and 4800 for my bike if I was buying from him. I had pushed the guy offering 4200 but he wasn't budging. Does he have room to move based on the figures above? Any views welcome. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭rock22

pmjackson wrote: »
    I have been offered a trade in value of 5000 against one bike (same brand as my current one) and 4200 against a bike from a different manufacturer ... an independent dealer .. offering.. between 4500 and 4800

I think you need to look at the cost to you of the new bike rather than the trade in price in isolation. What really matter s is what you will pay for your new bike.

Some dealers will offer a better trade in price against ful retail price while another might offer a lower trade in price against a discounted price. If both bikes are equivalent in value then the amount you are paying to change bikes is the only relevant figure to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

If you're only looking at trade in price, youre going to be screwed over in the deal. Some manufacturers have huge discounts meaning that if 2 companies are selling a bike for 16k, one might be able to sell the bike without a trade in for 15.5k, and the other for 13k. So if you buy the second bike, they'll be able to make your trade in look much more attractive by using a portion of their discount. And people fall for it every day.

Advertisement