Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EB License

Options
  • 06-02-2012 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hey.. can anyone tell me how do i go about getting my eb license?
    I drive a toyota landcruiser used for pulling horses in a 1506 horse box!
    I hold a B license for the last 17 years

I dont know where to start !
    Do i apply for a theory test first? and is this the same car theory test u need to complete towards getting an eb license? or is they a different theory test?

Do i take lessons in my own jeep and tow my own box? and how many hours do i need and what price will it cost? (im not bad at towing the box and horses:-))))
    How long will it take before i get a test date and if i passed how long is the cert valid for before i can take my practical test..
    finding this all confusing (::::

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Free bump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Seeing as you have your license that long you will have to sit a theory test before applying for a provisional EB license. Its the same as the car theory test i think - never did one for B myself - but had to for EB.

Once you pass then pop into Motor tax office and apply for provisional. You must have this 6 months before applying for a test. Unlike car license though, there is no minimum lesson requirement. I suggest you take a couple though as there's always handy tips to learn. You can do both lessons and test in your own jeep. Shouldn't be that long waiting for a test once you apply, but only some instructors can test you, so it depends on when they are in town. Cert is valid for 12months from pass date.

As for lessons, depends on where you are, but a few places do them - Naas driving academy for one. Overall it was not difficult, and the test itself was straight forward, though in my opinion it should be a lot tougher.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

I recently went in...
    The woman in the tax office said she would bypass the theory test. She just gave me the provisional...
    All though one was supposed to do the test?!
    I didnt complain though.

Also just got a letter in the post from the RSA. No longer does one have to wait 6 months from recieving their proviosnal trailor license to undertake the test. They can do from day 1 if they wish...

Apply away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cinamonscent

I did my car theory test 17 years ago (seems along time i know,but im only 35) so i imagine things have changed dramatically since then :-)

Ill go to the tax office and let them feed me to the wolves:-) see what paces they put me through!

thanks very much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

And remember if you do your test in an automatic vehicle (even though your B licence might be manual), your EB licence will only be good for automatic vehicles.

(I think it's a bit silly as if you have previously passed your test in a manual car then surely you are capable of towing even though many people choose automatic vehicles for towing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

And the only really different thing from the the B driving test, is the reversing with the trailer. Some test centres don't have the facility to test parking/reversing...I know Galway City doesn't making doing the test in Galway somewhat easy!!

And the only really different thing from the the B driving test, is the reversing with the trailer. Some test centres don't have the facility to test parking/reversing...I know Galway City doesn't making doing the test in Galway somewhat easy!!

I passed and still drive in manual, only thing is i've awful habits, using one hand to steer when leaning out the window to view the box while reversing, find that way easier then using the mirror, im sure he will beat me if i try that:-).. ive great practice at home with twisting and turning the box as ive limited space to turn, reverse etc, surely b to god u get a few chances at reverse parking etc?

not having an eb license yet! does this mean my jeep insurance is not wordy on the road? (my insurance covers the horse box as well)..so if ive no eb license does that mean im not covered? if pulled by a guard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

What weight is the trailer? Over 750 kg?

What weight is the trailer? Over 750 kg?

I dont know anything about weights.. im useless like that..i just know its a 1506 horse box (thats big) and i carry two horses, one horse is a 17.2hands and his built like a tank (irish draught) and the other is a sport horse 15.3 hands, medium build.. if that helps :-) sorry

• Advertisement

Ok, simply put if the weight of the trailer is over 750kg you need a EB licence. Sub 750kg trailers can be used on a B licence.

You will find yourself in severe insurance problems if the offence is detected by the Gardaí. As you have never held a EB they will have the makings of a no insurance charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Ok, simply put if the weight of the trailer is over 750kg you need a EB licence.

That's not true, as under certain conditions you can tow a heavier trailer with your B licence.
    These conditions were outlined on this forum many times.

Is some circumstances you might tow even trailers exceeding of about 1500kg.

Linky?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Linky?
    7. (1) A combination of vehicles which consists of a drawing vehicle and a trailer shall, for the purpose of these Regulations, be regarded as a vehicle -

(a) in category B, where the drawing vehicle is in category B and the design gross vehicle weight of the trailer does not exceed the unladen weight of the drawing vehicle and the total design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed 3,500 kg,

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2006/en/si/0537.html

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Advance Drive in Galway (golderpages) 091 524 689 or 087 2665750

Michael & Philip Rice are registered instructors for EB test. Worth a call ... They have jeep for use ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Without the needless technical debate OP, yes you do need an EB license for a landscruiser and horsebox, and your insurance is invalid without it. its on the penalty points now too. Also make sure its stated on your insurance policy about towing trailers

Advertisement