Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funny MMA youtube videos

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭

Perhaps a thread to post funny MMA clips, I get the bells ringing

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There's an MMA Humour thread here

And holy shít that was a sickening kick to the face! What was he playing at??!!
    I dunno if he was waiting for the other guys hand to lift off the ground or something but he got it really wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I don't see what funny about the video. It's a pretty scumbag thing to do. I don't think he has any excsue either.

This is from the main event fro mthe same show. Go to the 1.30 mark

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 381 ✭✭manga_10

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Perhaps a thread to post funny MMA clips, I get the bells ringing

you find that funny? interesting sence of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

To be honest, fighters have the responsibility to protect themselves, although it was pretty scumbaggy of your man, the lad got what he deserved for acting like a clown.

On a side note, MMA rules should be changed that men/women cant come out creeping like that - It's unsportman and dangerous.

• Advertisement

To be honest, fighters have the responsibility to protect themselves, although it was pretty scumbaggy of your man, the lad got what he deserved for acting like a clown.

On a side note, MMA rules should be changed that men/women cant come out creeping like that - It's unsportman and dangerous.

What are you talking about protect himself.
    He is suppose to protect agaist illegal strikes? If he was kicked in the balls on purpose, is it his fault for not coverign them.

THe guys tactics were retarded, and he was obviously copying Jones - without a plan behind it. But the guy intentionally kicked him illegally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Ah come on mellor. Like you're not hoping someone does it to Jones when he starts doin that crap

Mellor wrote: »
    What are you talking about protect himself.
    He is suppose to protect agaist illegal strikes? If he was kicked in the balls on purpose, is it his fault for not coverign them.

THe guys tactics were retarded, and he was obviously copying Jones - without a plan behind it. But the guy intentionally kicked him illegally.

If you go to near the end of the video he says to the ref that he thought his hand was up, I'm not here to debate whether he intentionally kicked him illegally, but the other fighter was being stupid and deserved what he got.

Ah come on mellor. Like you're not hoping someone does it to Jones when he starts doin that crap]
    Not really. If Jones and Evans fight was over is 8 seconds and the winner was Jones via DQ i'd be pretty pissed off.

Jones did it verses Rampage, simply as a curveball to throw him off guard. It wasn't an actualy fighting style, and he went straight into his regualar striking. his second tioem was even more brief, also a joking reference.

The difference with his guy and Jones was that Jones wasn't withing striking range. This guy was, which makes him an idiot. Don't get me wrong on that, the guy is an idiot and deserved to lose for copying something he seen without having a clue what he was doing. But kicking him in the face was a ****ty thing to so, and also retarded. Did he think he wouldn't get DQ'd.

I'd have liked the guy circle into position and kick him legally. Knock him over. And show him it was stupid.

If you go to near the end of the video he says to the ref that he thought his hand was up, I'm not here to debate whether he intentionally kicked him illegally, but the other fighter was being stupid and deserved what he got.
    I clearly said it was a retarded to come out like that earlier.
    I just think its a bit harsh to say he deserved a kick in the face.
    I don't believe the other guy when he said thought his hand was up, he didn't act like somebody who just won by KO. Maybe he tried to time it and screwed up.

As I said, I'd of liked to see him circle and KO him legally. But a kick like that is scummy if intentional. And could of been pretty bad for the sport's image had somethign gone wrong.

• Advertisement

So we agree on 90% Mellor.

We both think it was stupid but you think it's harsh the knock out and I think he got what he deserved. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Is that the same event as the two lads above that fall out of the cage?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭nino1

I think he got what he deserved. :)

i'm glad 99% of mma fighters or people in the mma community aren't as ignorant as you.
    nobody deserves an illegal kick to the face like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Peetrik

Since when are head kicks illegal? I'm confused why people are calling it a scummy thing to do. He wasn't a 'downed opponent', he purposefully adopted his (I hesitate to even call it a stance) hunkered posture. The guy tried some b/s showboating tactic in a full contact fight, dropped his guard and got head kicked.

Surely if anything its the refs job to step in if a fighter stops defending himself effectively?

Peetrik wrote: »
    Since when are head kicks illegal? I'm confused why people are calling it a scummy thing to do. He wasn't a 'downed opponent', he purposefully adopted his (I hesitate to even call it a stance) hunkered posture. The guy tried some b/s showboating tactic in a full contact fight, dropped his guard and got head kicked.

Surely if anything its the refs job to step in if a fighter stops defending himself effectively?
    A grounded opponent is pretty clearly defined. A hand on the ground, a knee on the ground, any three points of contact, with the mat is defined grounded. You often see people drop a hand to the ground after a failed takedown or in a vunerable clinch position. Its the same reasoning as above.

The fact that he purposely chose that position is irrelvant. By that logic, I can soccer kick a opponent that pulls guard.

A hand on the ground, a knee on the ground, any three points of contact, with the mat is defined grounded.

Ah ok. I still can't seem to drum up much pity for the guy

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Since when are head kicks illegal?

Head kicks to a downed opponent are illegal. That's why he kept his hand on the ground.
    You see it regularly in the UFC if they are getting up they often keep a hand on the ground so their opponent cannot kick or knee them on the way up.

Bisping hit Jorge Riviera with a similar (but not as brutal) illegal kick/knee last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Ah ok. I still can't seem to drum up much pity for the guy

The guy tried a stupid tactic to imitate Jon Jones and he paid for it. But it was still a stupid kick to try. Fair enough if he waited till the guys hand was off the ground and then head kicked him, but he just booted him straight into the face and he had to know he'd be disqualified for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

A grounded opponent is pretty clearly defined. A hand on the ground, a knee on the ground, any three points of contact, with the mat is defined grounded. You often see people drop a hand to the ground after a failed takedown or in a vunerable clinch position. Its the same reasoning as above.

The fact that he purposely chose that position is irrelvant. By that logic, I can soccer kick a opponent that pulls guard.

Just to be clear, you CAN soccer kick an opponent, just not to the head;)
    . I recently watched an interview with Nate Marquadt (it was before the Rousimar Palhares fight) in which he said he expected anything to happen in a fight.

He gave the example of a head kick, believe it or not, and said just because it was illegal for his opponent to head kick him in a fight, he would still protect his head because you never know what could happen.

Here is another thought, what if that kick WAS legal, and he timed it perfectly so his opponent only had two feet on the ground? What if Machida caught Jones (legally) with this kick? I have a suspicion people on the forum would be saying he had the timing of a Rolex and the kick of a donkey.

One last thought on this. When I get in a car I put on my seatbelt, I never say "well people know the rules of the road so I'll be safe", I think "there are alot of gob****es out there, I'd rather be safe than sorry"

SAFETY FIRST...ALWAYS

ps the interview was on cage potato IIRC

shantolog wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you CAN soccer kick an opponent, just not to the head;)
    Well, that's splittign hairs really. Soccer kick is a colloquial name, it normall refers to kicks to the head, but there's obviously no technical definition.
    If Goldie and Rogan started refering to kicks to the legs of a downed opponent as "soccer kick" its a bit silly. (i'm not talkign about brazillians playign soccer btw)
    Most importantly, You knew exactly what I was refering to.
    Here is another thought, what if that kick WAS legal, and he timed it perfectly so his opponent only had two feet on the ground? What if Machida caught Jones (legally) with this kick? I have a suspicion people on the forum would be saying he had the timing of a Rolex and the kick of a donkey.
    It wasn't a case of timing, there is no pattern to the movement so its impossible to predict when it will lift exactly. Not at the speed required for the kick.
    One last thought on this. When I get in a car I put on my seatbelt, I never say "well people know the rules of the road so I'll be safe", I think "there are alot of gob****es out there, I'd rather be safe than sorry"

SAFETY FIRST...ALWAYS
    That's a ridiculous point.

If somebody does something illegal (say goes through a red light), and hurts somebody, he is at fault. Weather or not that other person had a seatbelt on is irrelevant. What he did was illegal and dangerous. And if he went through the light on purpose, its a scumbag thing to do.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately Mellor the real world isn't just fluffy clouds and cute kittens. Bad things happen and if you're stupid enough to put yourself in danger by doing something stupid then you deserve what you get.

Unfortunately Mellor the real world isn't just fluffy clouds and cute kittens. Bad things happen and if you're stupid enough to put yourself in danger by doing something stupid then you deserve what you get.
    you arguement makes no sense.

I agree he was stupid, but because he was stupid, doesn't mean it was acceptable what the other guy did. The two aren't connected.
    As I said, if he KO'd him in brutal fashion with a legal technique, then I'd be the first to say serves him right. But the cheapshot just makes the guy a scumbag (or maybe ignorant to the rules - which is less serious imo).

The whole protect yourself at all times doesn't extend to illegal shots. If I knee you to the balls from the clinch, its my fault for an illegal strike, not yours for not covering your jewels

The whole protect yourself at all times doesn't extend to illegal shots. If I knee you to the balls from the clinch, its my fault for an illegal strike, not yours for not covering your jewels

The guy was exploiting a rule which is there for a reason. His knowledge of it was that he can't kick him in the face while he has his hand on the ground. But that other useless excuse of a fighter probably hasn't even read the rules so bang.

He shouldn't just be DQ'd they should provide yearly or 6 month bans for fighters with no regard for safety like that, I know it's fighting and everything but the rules are there for a reason.

He shouldn't just be DQ'd they should provide yearly or 6 month bans for fighters with no regard for safety like that, I know it's fighting and everything but the rules are there for a reason.

I think a ban would be a massive over reaction. You spend months drilling to strike without thinking as soon as you see an opening, even sparring when its 'legs only' or 'just boxing' I oftern find myself automaticaly halfway through throwing a teep or a jab on instinct, it can't be helped and thats just in sparring. Couple that with the 'red mist' when your in a proper fight and mistakes will happen.

The fight was in progress, the moron was advancing on him with intent and the guy did what he had been doing in training over and over again on instinct, very understandable IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭shantolog

Firstly let me say that I don't agree with the kick, if it was me I would not have thrown it or advised it to be thrown. Secondly, I don't feel sorry for the fighter who got kicked, when I saw it I honestly thought... " Well what did he think would happen."
    Well, that's splittign hairs really. Soccer kick is a colloquial name, it normall refers to kicks to the head, but there's obviously no technical definition.
    If Goldie and Rogan started refering to kicks to the legs of a downed opponent as "soccer kick" its a bit silly. (i'm not talkign about brazillians playign soccer btw)
    Most importantly, You knew exactly what I was refering to.

If your saying I KNEW a soccer kick was a kick to the head of a downed opponent you are wrong, I always thought it was just the action of kicking someone in the same fashion as a football, i.e. like a low front kick.

It wasn't a case of timing, there is no pattern to the movement so its impossible to predict when it will lift exactly. Not at the speed required for the kick.

There doesn't have to be a pattern to the movement before the kick, saying that IS ridiculous.
    That's a ridiculous point.

If somebody does something illegal (say goes through a red light), and hurts somebody, he is at fault. Weather or not that other person had a seatbelt on is irrelevant.

I never said he wasn't responsible for his actions, he is. The point I was making was it was so stupid of the opponent to come out like that, and in my opinion HIS actions also contributed to the kick, whether legal or not.

My analogy of wearing a seat belt really isn't ridiculous. I noticed you didn't address the fact that even Nate Marquadt, who fights some very professional people stated that even if it was illegal for his opponent to kick him in the head, he would still protect his head as youi never know what can happen.
    What he did was illegal and dangerous. And if he went through the light on purpose, its a scumbag thing to do.

But would you have your seat belt on even when you are driving safely? Of course you would, you can't control what other people do, it's up to you to protect yourself.

As far as I know it's always been illegal to strike to the groin in Irish MMA, I suppose we wear the groin guards for luck.:rolleyes:

shantolog wrote: »
    If your saying I KNEW a soccer kick was a kick to the head of a downed opponent you are wrong, I always thought it was just the action of kicking someone in the same fashion as a football, i.e. like a low front kick.
    I said you knew I originally refer to a soccer kick to the head.
    It was quite obvious
    There doesn't have to be a pattern to the movement before the kick, saying that IS ridiculous.
    In order to predict when his hand woudl leave the ground there does. Nobody has fast enough reactions to wait for him to lift it and kick before he puts it back down.

Had the guy shot for a leg and took a legal knee to the face, I wouldn't have a problem with it. There is guy was punsihed for beign stupid.

A feint low kick to get him to lift his hand to block, could of opened up a legal kick/ although, I don't think anybody could pull it off without risking it not working.
    I never said he wasn't responsible for his actions, he is. The point I was making was it was so stupid of the opponent to come out like that, and in my opinion HIS actions also contributed to the kick, whether legal or not.
    Well obviously, him beign down there led to his gettign kciked.
    My analogy of wearing a seat belt really isn't ridiculous. I noticed you didn't address the fact that even Nate Marquadt, who fights some very professional people stated that even if it was illegal for his opponent to kick him in the head, he would still protect his head as youi never know what can happen.
    I didn't understand the point tbh.
    When exactly was Nick saying he protects his head? When grounded, I'd imagine he needs to defend legal punches anywy. If he was in a north south position, I dount he defends the knee to the head. I imagine he was refering to an awareness that accidents can happen.

But would you have your seat belt on even when you are driving safely? Of course you would, you can't control what other people do, it's up to you to protect yourself.

As far as I know it's always been illegal to strike to the groin in Irish MMA, I suppose we wear the groin guards for luck.:rolleyes:
    Seatbelts are there because accidents happen.
    The same applies to the groin guard. This isn't difficult to understand.
    If I kick you in the balls, its an accideent, I say sorry and we move on. If I do it on purpose, its a scumbag thing to do. That's all im saying.
    I don't if you misconstruing my point on purpose, or genuine don't understand me. But what you are saying isb't hugely relevant.

To make it really simple.
    The first guy was an idiot for soming out like that.
    The second guy was a scumbag if he kicked him like that on purpose.

(I say if as he might not have been aware fo the rule, or trained under different rules - in which its not his fault. Unlikely, but might be the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Man, these videos are hilarious!

http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/mma.cfm?go=stats.fightcard&eid=6b5840bf-c680-4b46-b182-9fe5f216a0c6

According to this the fight was declared a no contest -

And from wiki - No Contest decisions in mixed martial arts (MMA) are usually declared when an accidental illegal strike (the rules on which differ from each organization) causes the recipient of the blow to be unable to continue, that decision being made by the referee, doctor, the fighter or his corner. Each fighter receives a NC counted in their record and is scored as neither a win nor loss.

I think both fighters got some valuable learning experience - One more than the other

Advertisement