Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

id please

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi all. I have some questions about carboniferous fossils from Galway Menlough old not working quarry.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/achwirot/Menlough?authkey=Gv1sRgCMGYqPCUsvOwwwE#
    I have some idea about id but I'm not sure if it's correct.
    pic1 -Overtonia? 0,6cm
    pic2- Loxonema? 2,7cm
    pic3 - Brachythyris? 2cm
    pic4 - ?? 6cm
    pic5 - Linoproductus? 12cm
    pic6 - Nautiloid 3,5cm
    pic7 - Gigantoproductus? 10cm
    pic8 - Leptagonia? 1,2cm
    pic9 - pic3
    pic10 - Echinoconchus Galway Bay 8cm
    pic11 - some gastropod 2,5cm diameter
    pic12 - stratopollus? diameter 4,5cm and 5,5cm
    pic13- Gigantoproductus? 11cm
    Last pic shows rock bedding in the quarry. I would like to know what kind of rocks might be there. Is everything visean and namurian?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 achwirot

Any ideas? Menlough quarry is nice location for searching fossils, maybe somebody was there. Do you know some profesional books with irish carboniferous fossils?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I seem to recall sending away for a fossil IDing booklet from the Irish Gelogical Society. i'll have a root around later to see if I can find more info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've a few (old) books laying around somewhere. I'll dig em out. Reckon you're on the money with Gigantoproductus for pic 7 and looks like some form of productus in number 5. I'd reckon ditto for pic 4. 10 looks about right too. Number 6 might be a weathered criniod "stem". They can look very like that. 8 defo a Leptaena of some sort. Can be very common in some locals if my memory serves. 13 looks more like some form of spirifer to me?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 achwirot

Thank you for help guys. I know that is very difficult to id brachiopods from pictures. I think that pic 5 might be Linoprotonia but the more materials I read I am getting more confused.
    I have one more question. Most o this rocks is limestone but part of them is more fragile and dividing on flat layers like shale. Is all of them were formed in the same time?

Advertisement