Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil view window fogged. How much oil?

Options
  • 06-02-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭

the oil view window is fogged up so cannot see the level.

I know the bike needs oil but how do I know how much?

Honda varadero 125.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If its fogged up, then its safe to assume there is no oil in it. So I'd let the engine warm up, put in on level ground and start filling it slowly to allow the oil to rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 T954

Are you sure its fogged up or is the oil after taking on a cloudy appearance? possibly from water contaminating it. There should be no reason for you oil level sight glass to be fogged up unless it was some how scratched on the outside. Or take off the cover and give it a clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I guess it was out of oil after all. Lol.

Don't know where it went. The bike is stored in the same place every day and the ground is clean.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

The Varadero 125 only takes 1.5 litres max of oil.
    It could be possible that there is too much oil in the engine, which would cover the glass window entirely.

The Varadero 125 only takes 1.5 litres max of oil.
    It could be possible that there is too much oil in the engine, which would cover the glass window entirely.

Put a litre into it and its a little under the max level now. Still fogged up but I can just see the level.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I'd be careful about that. Have under a third of the oil is really bad for the engine.

Ya im gona be checking it every day to see where the oil is going.
    It was full a month ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

I guess it was out of oil after all. Lol.

Don't know where it went. The bike is stored in the same place every day and the ground is clean.

Watch out for blue smoke, it could be burning oil.

The lower it gets, the quicker it goes. I learnt that lesson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The lower it gets, the quicker it goes. I learnt that lesson.

I once managed to punch two 2mm deep valve shaped dents into a piston once, good ould CB400 though, new piston and small end bearing and it was good as new. Bulletproof engines!

• Advertisement
Advertisement