Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newbie looking for info

Options
  • 06-02-2012 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi, I have recently started weight training as a way to get fit and lose weight (along with some cardio). I hired a personal trainer for a few sessions and am about to start out on my own for a few weeks to see how I get on. I have been looking online for some information on weight training for women but have not been able to find a book or a site that I like.

Has anyone come across any good site/book where I can find some useful information. Because I am really enjoying lifting weights I want to be armed with as much info as possible - but I don't want any 'hype' or anything that is basically trying to sell nutritional supplements (I take a protein shake before I go to the gym but am not interested in anything else).

All help appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

There's fitness logs on in the health and fitness forum. Couple of decent powerlifters and weightlifters post regularly. I'm sure some of them will be along shortly.......

There's also youtube channels like http://www.youtube.com/user/Kitty8Tim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

http://www.stumptuous.com/ seems a good place to start, it's aimed primarily at women.

This thread on the health an fitness forum is about women and weight training.

Did you not get any info from you PT?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Scuba Ste wrote: »

Did you not get any info from you PT?

I agree with this.

Did your PT not give you anything to work on or a template to follow?

Maybe if you give us an idea of what you were doing with the PT (weights-wise)we might be able to offer some advice or help you structure it:)

Oooh and once you do get going, start a log in the health and fitness forum!!! I'm always trying to recruit more ladies to log:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Flugelblues

Thanks guys! The Health & Fitness forum post looks good - am reading through it now!

My PT did give me some info - he did out a program for me and keeps telling me to not be afraid of heavy weights - and that I need to constantly increase the weight that I am lifting...but didn't give me any of the extra info that I want. If I am honest I am not sure what info I want - I need to understand all of the different lifts etc and am really interested in sports nutrition (eating healthy is so much easier when you understand what your body needs) - but I am also interested in where I can go with all of this...what should I be lifting/aiming to lift.

I have never enjoyed cardio training - although I know it is essential. This gym - and this PT - are the first that I have encountered/met that understands that and that doesn't try to make me spend an hour doing boring stuff that I can never get into.

I guess I just want to understand 'everything' about weightlifting and searching online throws up lots of results that are unhelpful and misleading - so I wanted to get 'to the source' so-to-speak and ask what people who are into weight lifting find helpful! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Expect Success

Hi there,

One resource I always refer back to is Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength. He has a wealth of resources has his own wiki site with a lot of brilliant information and detailed articles, videos etc.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Mark_Rippetoe

Hope this helps...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

although the post above is probably advertising, SS is a good book to understand the anatomy of all the main lifts youll be doing.

Advertisement