Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my eircom customer experience PLEASE READ

Options
  • 06-02-2012 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I have been with eircom Broadband for about 4 years now. Started 3Mb connection upgraded to a 7Mb connection about 2 or 3 years ago. Worked perfectly up until 2 - 4 months ago. Speeds began fluctuating severely, speeds got as low as 0.3mb. I reported this to technichal support and it took about a week of two to send out a technician after alot of messing about with splitters etc. He arrived said he could not do anything at the moment because he said he was after ringing Dublin or something, who said that there was a problem with the area. He left and about a day or two later the problem seemed to be fixed getting good speeds etc. Then, about a week or so later, same problem arose again. Rang up, they sent another technician out out and he did some stuff, I was not there, apparently he did something with the wiring. Rang me and told the problem should be fixed. He did a speed test on the computer and it seemed fine. The problem is on both computers, when you begin using the internet at first it's fine but gradually begins to slow down to an almost unuseable speed. I must stress that I DO NOT have downloads running, that is the problem. I made sure of it. Standard definition videos on youtube begin to struggle etc. Needless to say, I came home that evening after the tech had been there. Nothing new, same problem as always. Rang again, sent a different tech out. Who did literally nothing. He came in early in the morning asked me a few questions that I had been asked several times before. He then said he was going down to the exchange and he would ring the house phone shortly to let us know what the story was. Never heard from him again. Rang eircom AGAIN and they sent out the original tech who just did a speed test and the speed seemed ok, said to my mother that their was nothing he could do and the next tech will have to charge us if he is called out again. Eircom has sent me out a router on two different occasions which has fixed nothing. I had to renew my contract to get the first router they sent out. I am a college student and I need this broadband, I am paying for a service I am not getting. I was told I would be getting a phone call from a manager on two seperate occassions and I have not recieved any. This is by far the worst customer service I ahve ever experienced. They are basically saying there is nothing they can do, that I basically have to deal with it. There is obviously something wrong! Something that needs fixing, and after two months it still hasn't been dealt with.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you want people to read your post please please put in a few paragraphs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Make a formal complaint. http://www.eircom.ie/logacomplaint

They will send you a complaint reference number by email. Sometimes throttling a line to a lower speed ( and cheaper package) can fix these issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Jimmy Two Face

dub45 wrote: »
    If you want people to read your post please please put in a few paragraphs.

sorry im new to this and it was rushed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

without completely writing off the computers ... can you source a loan of a laptop to check it independantly ? and do a speed test

when the technician was there, he'd have tested the line with a JDSU (DSL tester), they should have stripped everything off and tested it out from the main socket.... they hav access to the current speeds, what you're being charged for and what is the max attainable on the line...

if these match up with the results on the JDSU (although not 100%) you can 9 times out of 10 take it the fault is localised to the house...

since the second tech re-checked wiring and you've had 2 new routers, I'd check the PC's for malware, viruses etc...

if you're unfortunate enough to be in an area with crap lines (high resistance, bad pairs etc.. ) unfortunately you will have to deal with the problem ....

but as you said that speeds were fine before I think it might be a case of you, as was mentioned, needing your speeds slowed down, having a high provisioned speed (say 4mb) and having that squeezed down a line that can only hold say 2mb... that'll cause problems

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macker35

I have been with eircom Broadband for about 4 years now. Started 3Mb connection upgraded to a 7Mb connection about 2 or 3 years ago. Worked perfectly up until 2 - 4 months ago. Speeds began fluctuating severely, speeds got as low as 0.3mb. I reported this to technichal support and it took about a week of two to send out a technician after alot of messing about with splitters etc. He arrived said he could not do anything at the moment because he said he was after ringing Dublin or something, who said that there was a problem with the area. He left and about a day or two later the problem seemed to be fixed getting good speeds etc. Then, about a week or so later, same problem arose again. Rang up, they sent another technician out out and he did some stuff, I was not there, apparently he did something with the wiring. Rang me and told the problem should be fixed. He did a speed test on the computer and it seemed fine. The problem is on both computers, when you begin using the internet at first it's fine but gradually begins to slow down to an almost unuseable speed. I must stress that I DO NOT have downloads running, that is the problem. I made sure of it. Standard definition videos on youtube begin to struggle etc. Needless to say, I came home that evening after the tech had been there. Nothing new, same problem as always. Rang again, sent a different tech out. Who did literally nothing. He came in early in the morning asked me a few questions that I had been asked several times before. He then said he was going down to the exchange and he would ring the house phone shortly to let us know what the story was. Never heard from him again. Rang eircom AGAIN and they sent out the original tech who just did a speed test and the speed seemed ok, said to my mother that their was nothing he could do and the next tech will have to charge us if he is called out again. Eircom has sent me out a router on two different occasions which has fixed nothing. I had to renew my contract to get the first router they sent out. I am a college student and I need this broadband, I am paying for a service I am not getting. I was told I would be getting a phone call from a manager on two seperate occassions and I have not recieved any. This is by far the worst customer service I ahve ever experienced. They are basically saying there is nothing they can do, that I basically have to deal with it. There is obviously something wrong! Something that needs fixing, and after two months it still hasn't been dealt with.
    I am not surprised as all Eircom,E-mobile and Meteor are the same and as an E-mobile Phone customer, I can categorically say....Please Avoid!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

next time you have these problems it might be worth to try the following

1) open a command line (start - run - cmd)
    2) type : netstat -no (enter)

this will give you an output of all connections to the net and the process that has created them. I've seen similar issues before where the bandwidth was there but a rogue process (virus etc) was creating lots (hundreds) of connections to the internet and eating up the bandwidth. Normally you wouldnt see things like this by having a look at the task manager or something similar.

(apologies if you've tried things like this already, hard to make out how computer literate you are. Also I doubt Eircom technicians would have tried this as they'll really only be concerned with the linespeeds, not with anything on any of your machines creating havoc)

Advertisement