Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nest Thermostat Installation

Options
  • 06-02-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've a relatively new gas central heating system (4 years old) with a programmable timer but I'd much prefer something which keeps an energy efficient ambient temperature in the house when we're there.

I really like the look of the Nest Thermostat (http://www.nest.com/#videotour) and would consider splashing the $295 it costs if I could be sure a) it would work this side of the pond and b) I could get someone competent to fit it.

Anyone here got any experience with this product?

Ben
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

BenThere wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've a relatively new gas central heating system (4 years old) with a programmable timer but I'd much prefer something which keeps an energy efficient ambient temperature in the house when we're there.

I really like the look of the Nest Thermostat (http://www.nest.com/#videotour) and would consider splashing the $295 it costs if I could be sure a) it would work this side of the pond and b) I could get someone competent to fit it.

Anyone here got any experience with this product?

Ben

I saw that product and an interested in it also, but its not available outside the us yet? With such connected/smart devices it might be best to hold off until officially supported...for all functionality to be supported

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

That unit requires a 24v stat setup. I think the wiring is like the foliowing link.

http://www.dr-fix-it.com/ttt/10005.html

I haven't seen this type of setup in Europe, but I could be wrong. It's mostly 230v, I think.

It also doesn't have much bearing on the hot water from what I can see. You could argue about how critical this is.

I am building something this at the moment as a project. I have a wireless sensor and a wireless relay controller to turn the heat and hot water on/off.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

I'm sure I read somewhere that it can be wired with 230v. Could be wrong though.

Also it's a room thermostat, you would always need a separate stat for hot water.

I'd love to see it in action though, has some really great features.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

The current cold snap has motivated me to look at this again ;)

Anyone aware of any installations this side of the pond? I'd love to read some reviews of usage here or in the UK but can't find anything online and don't want to be guinea pig #1 :p

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

My annual bump of this thread!! Anyone installing the Best Thermometer this side of the pond? It will soon be time to get the heating back on so I'd like to get the benefit of this or something similar if such a product exists in Ireland?

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Google "chronostat"

Advertisement